This White Bean Turkey Chili is healthy, delicious, and satisfying. Ground turkey, white cannellini beans, and chili spices combine to make a white chili that will warm your tummy and your heart.
I know I just posted my classic chili with beans last weekend, but I joined up with a few other blogger friends to share some #ChiliCookOff recipes with you today!
Last week I shared a more traditional chili recipe, but this week I’m sharing a white chili recipe. White bean turkey chili, to be exact. I don’t know about you, but I am a big fan of a good white chili. Chicken or turkey both work great, white beans are a must, and for me…lots of pretty green toppings or add-ins. Like avocado, jalapenos, green onions, and cilantro. Salsa verde is a good add-in too (like in my salsa verde white chicken chili), but I didn’t use that this time around.
What I did use, was a lot of the same seasonings you would see in traditional chili. Just no tomatoes. Because, it wouldn’t be very white if there was red stuff in it, now would it?!?
Not only is white bean turkey chili delicious and filling, but it’s a healthier option, too! And I don’t know about you, but I can use all the healthier options I can get during the bulk-up-winter-months. Know what I’m sayin’?
Sometimes chili needs to cook for a long time, a couple of hours at least, for the flavors to really get in there good. But this is not one of those. You can have this white bean turkey chili on the table in under an hour – and the flavor does not suffer one bit.
And this chili is one the whole family will love. Nat loves to have her own little bowl and spoon, and if mine has more liquid in it that hers (because I use a slotted spoon to hopefully avoid additional toddler messes), she looks in my bowl and tells me, in her most exasperated voice, “I want soup!” Well, excuuuuse me little missy. I give her a bite off my spoon and she’s usually content, sometimes she wants me to spoon some into her bowl, too.
But in reality, I’m actually glad she wants the “soup” because soup season is coming, and it will be great not to have to plan additional food for her to eat or strain out the liquid for her to eat what we are having. This will be her first winter being able to eat all the same things her daddy and I do. And I can’t wait!!
Be sure to check out the other #ChiliCookOff recipes below!
White Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 15.5 oz cans of cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (or Pepper Jack)
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- chopped green onions
- mini saltines or tortilla strips
- Heat a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up until white and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced green chilies, salt, cumin, oregano, and chili powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Puree 1 can of beans in the blender with 1 cup of the broth. Add to the pot with the remaining beans, broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer, about 30 to 35 minutes mixing occasionally, until thickened and the flavors meld.
- Stir in sour cream and cook and additional 4 to 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt or seasonings if desired.
- Serve hot, topped with your favorite toppings!
Welcome to our #ChiliCookOff!
We have delicious recipes from across the country to get your chili making to the next level of delicious!
Slow Cooker Taco Chili by Cheese Curd In Paradise
White Bean Turkey Chili by Sweet Beginnings
Frito Pie Chili by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Buckeye Chili by The Spiffy Cookie
Sweet Hot Pepper Jelly Ground Beef & Bean Chili by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Steak Fajita Chili by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Garden Fresh Chili by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
BBQ Beef Brisket Chili by Palatable Pastime
Slow Cooker Classic Chili Recipe by Our Crafty Mom
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili by Kate’s Recipe Box