White Chicken Chili with a salsa verde kick is the perfect way to warm up as colder weather starts to set in.
Original post December 2014. Photos and content updated October 2020 for improved reader experience.
Last night we got our first real cold snap here in Central Texas. Temps dropped about 20 degrees in about an hour and the wind was brutal. And next week we are supposed to have at least one day where the high is in the 50’s. Now, I know that is laughable to those of you in northern states, but for this area, that’s pretty dang cold. Especially in October.
Good thing I have good soup recipes like this Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili at my fingertips, that I can throw together pretty quickly on the stove, or I can put my slow cooker to use!
Whichever method you choose to cook it, the end result will be a delicious bowl of warmth for your tummy and your soul! And if this cluster that is 2020 keeps up it’s streak, this winter is likely to be brutal and we’ll all need an arsenal of soup and warm comfort food recipes to get us through.
And a fun tidbit to add…October is National Chili Month, so…me and some of my friends got together to share chili recipes with all of you!! Check out the other recipes below the recipe card – so many to try, I can’t wait!
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (enough to yield 4 cups shredded chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Avocado, chopped
- Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Tomatoes, diced
- Tortilla Chips
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove to a bowl and either shred with two forks, or in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment (my preferred method!)
- In a large pot, add shredded chicken, chicken broth, beans, salsa verde, cumin and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Spray the bottom of slow cooker with cooking spray, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add half a cup of chicken broth or water. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for about 2.5-3 hours. Shred chicken right there in the slow cooker using two forks, or remove to stand mixer if you want to shred that way. (You can put all the ingredients besides toppings in if you want to skip the extra step and cooking time at the end, the beans just don't hold up as well as I like, but it's still delicious! You can remove the chicken and shred then return to the pot to mix before serving.)
- Add remaining chicken broth, beans, salsa verde, cumin and garlic to slow cooker (along with chicken if you removed it to shred) and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
Welcome to our #ChiliCookOff!
We have delicious recipes from across the country to get your chili making to the next level of delicious!
Beef Chorizo and Bean Chili from Cheese Curd In Pardise
Chasen’s Chili from That Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Chilifrom A Day in the Life on the Farm
White Chicken Chili from Making Miracles
Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili from Sweet Beginnings
Chili Impossible Pie from Shockingly Delicious
Slow Cooker Chili Verde with Pork from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Turkey Chili Verde (Instant Pot) from Palatable Pastime
Ghost Chili with Cornbread Topping and Chipotle Crema from The Spiffy Cookie
Love the addition of salsa verde to this chili and those chunks of avocado are perfect.