Turkey taco bake is basically crispy tacos in nacho form! Crispy tortilla chips, taco seasoned turkey with pinto beans, lots of melty cheese, and topped with all kinds of taco goodness!
I love pretty much anything Mexican-flavored or taco-inspired, so of course I am a big fan of taco bakes. I mean, it’s basically just a deconsructed crispy taco that you eat with a fork, and you can get all the components in one bite. You know, instead of meat and cheese on the bottom and all the toppings on the top, and only on a rare bite to do you get some of all of it? Even so, I love me a crispy taco. But, I digress.
J and I had a taco bake at some church that we stopped into while we were RV camping a few years ago, that just so happened to be having a potluck lunch. Random, I know. But after we left he was saying that was something I should make at home some time. I’d never made one, so I started browsing around to see different versions, until I figured out what sounded best for us.
Layered tortilla chips, turkey taco meat, pinto beans and lots o’ cheese. Then topped with traditional taco toppings, like shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and green onions. You see, it’s a pretty simple dish, but so freaking delicious. It’s the best of tacos and nachos in one baked dish!
This turkey taco bake is great for a weeknight meal, a Friday night sitting around watching movies with the fam, a weekend lunch or dinner – you know, pretty much any day.
If you want taco flavors but want a change from having actual tacos, this is your answer right here. It’s delicious, filling, and the whole family will love it. Need I say more??
You probably have most – or even all – of the ingredients on hand already, so why not make it for dinner tonight???
Are you ready for the turkey taco bake recipe now?? Here it is!
Turkey Taco Bake
- 1 lb ground turkey (you can use ground beef, chicken, or venison if you prefer)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 7 oz bag of tortilla chips (or half of a “regular” size bag is sufficient!)
- 3-4 cups shredded cheese (monterrey jack, colby jack, and/or pepper jack work well)
- Toppings of choice: I used shredded lettuce, diced cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, green onions, and sour cream
- Other topping ideas: sliced black olives, jalapenos, cilantro, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Add the turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up, until browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to coat. Stir in the sour cream and pinto beans.
- Add a layer of chips to the bottom of the baking dish. You want a single layer, but is perfectly ok if some of the chips are overlapping. You want the bottom covered. Spoon half of the taco mixture over the chips and spread as evenly as you can. Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat with a second layer of chips, the rest of the taco mixture, and the remaining cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with toppings of choice, and be prepared to go back for seconds!