Spice up taco night with these buffalo chicken tacos! Lightly pan-fried for a crisp coating and tossed with buffalo sauce, you’ll be wondering where these have been all your life!
Original post January 11, 2012. Updated April 9, 2019
While I am not a fan of traditional chicken wings, I do love buffalo sauce and pretty much any excuse to use it. I didn’t realize how many recipes I had made and posted here, until I just went to link to it.
And even though buffalo sauce isn’t just for chicken, they are bff’s for life and all, it is by far my favorite meat to use it on.
I like to pair these buffalo chicken tacos with some crisp shredded lettuce, avocado slices, a generous drizzle of ranch dressing, and some chopped green onions. Plenty of flavor and texture variation, without taking away from the star of the show here – the buffalo chicken!
J and I really love our food spicy, and we like a lot of sauce, so I definitely pour it on thick, so-to-speak. If you aren’t as inclined to a lot of sauce or super spicy, you can still enjoy these tacos. Just start off with a lesser amount of buffalo sauce, and adjust to desired level.
Nat likes spicy food, to a certain extent, but I’m not trying to traumatize my toddler by dousing her dinner with buffalo sauce. Usually she tries things by sticking her fingers on our plates/in our food, and we always warn her if something is spicy before she does. Half the time she likes it, sometimes she opts to believe us and not have any, and on occasion, she tries and quickly lets us know it’s spicy and she wants a drink. We are hopeful, though, that she will have a love and tolerance for spicy food as she gets older, as well.
How to make buffalo chicken tacos:
1. Coat chicken strips in flour, corn starch and seasonings.
2. Cook in a little bit of olive oil, until you get a nice crisp coating and the chicken is cooked through.
3. Toss with buffalo sauce.
4. Assemble in warmed tortillas with shredded lettuce, avocado, green onions, and ranch dressing!.
Really, these buffalo chicken tacos will kick up taco night, and you’ll be so glad you made them!
Looking for some more great recipes using buffalo sauce? Try these!
Buffalo Shrimp Taquitos
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Buffalo Venison Tacos
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip by The Love Nerds
Buffalo Chicken Puff Pastry Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders (or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce* (plus extra for topping)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 Tortillas (flour or corn, whichever you prefer)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Avocado slices
- Ranch dressing
- Green onions sliced thinly
- In a large bowl or gallon size resealable bag, combine cornstarch, flour, cayenne, and garlic powder. Season the chicken pieces with pepper, then dredge in the flour mixture (or place in the bag, seal and shake to coat!)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and once it gets hot, add chicken in a single layer, in batches if necessary, and cook on both sides – about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat process, adding more olive oil as needed, until all the strips are done. Once the chicken is done, set it aside in a bowl and toss with buffalo wing sauce.
- Warm tortillas and assemble tacos with chicken, lettuce, avocado, ranch dressing and green onions. Drizzle with more buffalo sauce, if you like!
The Home Cook
My mouth is watering. I need to make these ASAP. I've had them on my list for awhile now, but now I need to move them to the top. I'll just leave out the cayenne since we both love Frank's.
I LOVE buffalo sauce. Scratch that. I love Franks buffalo sauce. I swear they put magic dust in it or something. I can always tell when a wing place doesn't use Franks. These tacos looks great!