Hallelujah, it’s Thursday!! Usually I would be saying this on Friday, but I’m just thankful that we’re thisclose to Friday. Granted, the week has gone by pretty quickly, but I’m still so happy that the weekend is near! And speaking of the weekend…it’s no secret that I love to cook and I do it often. However, not every meal wows me. Usually they are good, some are just OK, and then there are the ones that turn out better than I could have imagined. Last weekend had a few of the latter. Simple dishes with amazing flavor. This was one of them.
Of course I thought it would be good, or I wouldn’t have bothered making it, but I didn’t expect it to be SO good that J and I would both be sitting there oohing and ahhing and wanting to keep eating it. the lime juice in the quinoa and black beans really added a nice zing and all the components just mixed together so well. Oh, and it was quick and easy, which has become very important to me for weekend lunches. These little bowls of goodness will most definitely be in a regular rotation for the weekends. Try them out and see for yourself…the weekend is almost here!!
Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- dash of cayenne
- 1/2 cup lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (~2 tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions, using the water or vegetable broth. (Standard preparation is to bring water or broth to a boil, add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add garlic and saute for one minute. Add black beans, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, chili powder, cayenne, and two tablespoons of lime juice. Stir to combine and reduce heat to low.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of cilantro and the rest of the lime juice.
- To assemble, place quinoa in bowls and top with the black bean mixture, tomatoes, yogurt, cheese, avocado, and salsa. Mix it all up and enjoy!
Leave a Reply