These orange creamsicle truffles are a fun variation of an old throwback favorite. A creamy, delicious, bite-size treat with the orange creamsicle flavor that is quintessentially summer!
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% my own.
There are a gazillion flavors and desserts that are perfect for summer, but if I had to pick one that just screams summer to me, it would have to be orange creamsicle. There is just something about that orange outer coating and vanila inside, that you have to eat quickly so it doesn’t melt all over you, that let’s you know, summer is here.
While I couldn’t tell you the last time I had an orange creamsicle, the sentiment remains. And when I was thinking of recipes for this week, orange creamsicle was at the top of the list.
I wanted to do something different than ice cream, though. I threw around the idea of fudge, but then decided these truffles fit the bill a little better. I mean, white creamy center, and orange candy coating – how much more perfect could they be?!?
And let me tell you, friends, they are every bit as delicious as their namesake. I actually had them planned before we received our sponsor gifts, and wouldn’t you know that Wilton sent us some orange creme candy melts!! So, I revamped the recipe a bit so I could use those, and the truffles turned out absolutely perfect. I couldn’t have been happier.
And just for fun, I had to throw some Sweets & Treats Boutique sprinkles on top!!
There have been several orange creamsicle recipes shared this week, so make sure you check out the others from previous days! And my blogger friends have more great recipes for you today, too – check them out below and enter the giveaway if you haven’t already! You could win yourself a Wilton prize pack that includes these candy melts, or one of 4 other amazing prize packages from our other sponsors!
Orange Creamsicle Truffles
- 1 cup good quality white chocolate (chips or bar, finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 pkg Orange Creme Candy Melts (you an use regular orange candy melts if you can't find these)
- Sprinkles for topping, optional
- Place white chocolate chips in a small, wide container that has a lid, and set aside. You will want to have a mesh strainer and a spatula nearby, as well.
- Add unsalted butter and orange zest to a small saucepan and warm over medium heat. Once mixture begins to bubble, let cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add heavy whipping cream to the saucepan and quickly stir. Continue stirring for another 1-2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form along the edges of the saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Pour the orange butter mixture through the mesh strainer over the white chocolate chips. Use the spatula to press the orange zest into the mesh, getting out all the oils and flavor you can. Discard the orange zest.
- Let mixture sit for one minute, then add orange extract. Whisk until chocolate has melted (or mostly melted, a few chunks are ok.)
- Cover orange truffle mixture and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until mixture is firm enough to handle. Don't leave it too long or it will be hard to scoop out.
- When ready, use a medium cookie scoop or tablepoon to scoop out chocolate and roll into balls in your hand. Place on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet or plate. Once all balls are formed, place in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to firm up before coating.
- Melt your candy coating in the microwave according to the package instructions in a small but deep bowl.
- Remove chocolate balls from freezer and drop into the candy coating, one at a time, and use a fork to scoop up and tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess coating before carefully placing back onto the wax paper to harden. Add sprinkles, if using, right when you place on the wax paper, before it hardens, or they won't stick!
- Once all truffles have been coated and sprinkled, allow them to set for 10 minutes or so, or until the coating has dried/hardened. Store in an airtight container. You can refrigerate or not, but remember they are chocolate so don't expose to high heat or they will melt!
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
Brownie Ice Cream Sundaes from Desserts Required
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars from Family Around the Table
Simple Watermelon Lime Garnita from Cheese Curd In Paradise
No Churn Patriotic Funfetti Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
No Churn Lemonade Ice Cream from 4 Sons R Us
Orange Julius Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
No Bake Treats:
Banana Split Eclair Dessert from Big Bear’s Wife
Lemon Lavender Scones from Jen Around the World
Frosted Cookie Bars from Miss in the Kitchen
Easy Raspberry Lemon Crumble Bars from Who Needs A Cape?
Peach and Nectarine Torte with Almond Whipped Cream from Nancie’s Table
Cookie Bars from Back To My Southern Roots
Bomb Pop Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAS
Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Coconut Congo Squares from Love and Confections
Orange Creamsicle Truffles from Sweet Beginnings
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.