Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries & Pecans are a delicious way to serve sweet potatoes this holiday season!
Sweet potatoes are a staple at many holiday dinner tables, usually in some sort of mashed form, and often topped with marshmallows. But this year, I challenge you to try a new sweet potatoe dish. Hasselback sweet potatoes, baked with a brown sugar butter coating, then topped with brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries and chopped pecans.
You still get that side dish of sweetness that you’ve grown to love and expect at the holiday dinner table, just a little more fancied up, if you will.
What is a Hasselback sweet potato?
The term ‘Hasselback potato’ originates in Sweden in 1953, when a restaurant called Hasselbacken first served the potato sliced thinly, but not all the way through, and baked. Since then, many vegetables besides the standard potato have been subject of the Hasselback method of preparation, and with good reason! A beautiful presentation, that can be customized to fit your taste in toppings and presentation.
I always thought the Hasselback potato looked so pretty, but thought it would require so much work to prepare. Boy was I wrong. The only skill you need is to be able to wield a knife well enough to cut slices in the potato, without cutting all the way through. And I’ll share a little secret I learned from others…if you place a pair of wooden spoons or chopsticks on either side of the potato before cutting, that can help you not to cut all the way through. Whoever first thought of that handy little trick is genius. I wish I could say it was me!
What do you need to make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries & Pecans?
You need only six ingredients to make this elegant-looking side dish that will wow your guests.
Add to that list your handy little cutting guides, and you have yourself one winner of a holiday side dish, my friends.
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I’ve joined up with some friends of mine to bring you a ton of holiday side dish recipes this week, so make sure you check out the other recipes from today, below!
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries & PecansPrint Pin Rate
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, starting 1/2" from the end of each sweet potato, make thin slices (1/4" or thinner) stopping about 1/4" or so from the bottom of the potato (You can lay wooden utensils or chopsticks on either side of each sweet potato to keep from cutting all the way through.) Once cut, place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar into the bowl of melted butter and mix well.
- Use a pastry or basting brush and generously cover the tops and in between slices on each sweet potato with the butter mixture, using about a third fo the mixture as you will brush the potatoes two more times while they are baking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until good and soft (time will vary depending on size of potatoes), removing and brushing with the butter mixture after 15 minutes and again after 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, cranberries and pecans in a small bowl and mix well.
- Once potatoes are done, remove from oven and spoon the brown sugar mixture over the top and in between slices. Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot!
Monday Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles by House of Nash Eats
Balsamic Glazed Baby Onions by Savory Experiments
Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe by The Fresh Cooky
Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Stuffing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Sausage Crumbles by Food Lust People Love
Cauliflower Gratin by Lemon Blossoms
Cheese Herb Potato Gratin by Shockingly Delicious
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole by Blogghetti
Cranberry Fluff by An Affair from the Heart
Easy Chorizo Cornbread Dressing by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries & Pecans by Sweet Beginnings
Holiday Side Salad by Our Good Life
Honey Roasted Carrots by Devour Dinner
No Knead Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Roasted Buttercup Squash by Palatable Pastime
Roasted fingerling potatoes with Parmesan by The Foodie Affair
Sauteed Spinach with Bacon by Kate’s Recipe Box
Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetables by Cheese Curd in Paradise
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans by West Via Midwest
Sweet Potato Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Traditional Cranberry Sauce by Family Around the Table
Twiced Baked Sweet Potatoes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings