Eeee! It’s Saturday! Finally!!! Granted, I’m always excited for the weekend, but I’m especially excited for this weekend. Perhaps because I’m off work next week so this is the beginning of a looooong weekend?!?! And, to top it off, I have a Sammich Saturday post to share with you all!
Last night I took my Little to a Fall Festival held at a water park here in town (no water activities involved, though). I can’t say that I’ve ever been to a fall festival before, so I was just as excited as she was! I always have a great time with her, she’s such a vibrant little girl!
- 29 oz canned tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
- 12 oz canned tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried parsley leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped (about 6 leaves)
- 3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed)
- sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4-6 hard rolls
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Start the slow cooker on low heat.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, and herbs. Stir until well-combined.
- Set chicken breasts on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or on high for 3-4).
- When done, use two forks to shred the chicken, or throw the breasts into the bowl of your stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to shred (I love this way so, so much!)
- Slice the rolls in half and toast on a hot skillet.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon, tapping excess sauce into the pot, and place a generous helping of the chicken mixture into each of the sliced rolls.
- Top with a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan, mozzarella, and avocado slices and serve.