The flavors you love in Chicken Parmesan, without the frying. Chicken breast is slow cooked in a marinara sauce and served on a toasted bread roll with avocado and melty cheese and it’s a Chicken Parmesan Sandwich you don’t want to miss out on!
How is it that this weekend, that happens to be a long weekend for me, feels like it’s gone by so fast already? We had a full day yesterday, with a trip to Cabelas and then the grocery store, followed by a nap for the toddler, and then J took her to dinner and a daddy-daughter dance at church.
And mama? Mama stayed home, made an amazing shrimp dinner, which I will share soon, and had some time to relax and watch tv and work on blog stuffs. You may remember that my family doesn’t like shrimp so I have to take advantage when I can, since I try to make meals that all three of us will enjoy on a normal basis.
I’m sure I have mentioned a time or a million before that J is a big fan of marinara sauce, and recipes that incorporate a lot of it. These chicken parmesan sandwiches fit that request perfectly. I’m sure the only thing he would have liked better was if it had even more marinara. I probably could have (should have?) given him a bowl of sauce to dip his sandwich in. A parmesan dip sandwich – could that be a thing? I think we could make it a thing.
The toddler is still a little hesitant about chunks of anything on her plate. Menaing, if it isnt’ the meat, the carb, or the veggie side itself, she’s likely going to pick it out and say she doesn’t like it. So, those petite diced tomatoes in the shredded chicken? Yeah, those don’t pass her test. But that’s ok, because she did eat the chicken, cheese (of course) and avocados. And if I recall correctly, I’m pretty sure she had some bites of my sandwich, too. You know, her favorite way to eat anything. Off mama’s plate, instead of her own. Who said mom’s need to eat an actual, whole meal, anyway??
I love using my slow cooker, and meals like these chicken parmesan sandwiches are exactly the reason why. Minimal prep, throw it in and turn it on, come home and put it together and shovel it into your hungry face. Done and done.
And lookie there…more slow cooker recipes for you to try, too!
Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crock-Pot Spinach and Chicken Lasagna by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- French Dip Sliders (Slow Cooker & Instant Pot) by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Lamb Curry by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Maple Dijon Pork Chops by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Pea Soup with Potatoes and Ham by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Swiss Steak by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan SandwichesPrint Pin Rate
- 29 oz can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried parsley leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped (about 6 leaves)
- 3-4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4-6 hard rolls
- 1 avocado sliced
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, and herbs to slow cooker. Stir until well-combined.
- Set chicken breasts on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or on high for 3-4).
- When done, use two forks to shred the chicken, or throw the breasts into the bowl of your stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to shred (I love this way so, so much!)
- Slice the rolls in half and toast on a hot skillet.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon, tapping excess sauce into the pot, and place a generous helping of the chicken mixture into each of the sliced rolls.
- Top with a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan, mozzarella*, and avocado slices and serve.
Source: Food, Family & Finds