I’m having a hard time letting go of summer. Fortunately, living in Texas means that I get to hold onto those warmer temps for much longer than the northern states, but as we enter the middle of November, Mister Winter is edging his way in and I’m forced to pull out the sweaters and boots, and my friends and family are forced to listen to me whine about it. Fortunately winter clothes are pretty darn cute, so I at least have that to look forward to as I’m freezing my tushy off.
And, because it will be colder out, I’ll definitely want to use my oven more to keep the house warm and smelling of delicious baked goods, which means storing the crockpot that I finally started to use this year. And what better way to say farewell, than with another delicious taco??
I’ve made more pulled pork/chicken/beef recipes in the past 6 months than I’ve made in all the other years combined. Sad, but true. But, I’ve learned what I was missing all those years, and pulled pork/chicken/beef will definitely keep appearing in my kitchen…many, many times.
I’d venture to say that these tacos are on the healthier side…they have fruit on them for cryin’ out loud!! Of course, you won’t be paying attention to the calories because you’ll be too enamoured bu the awesome flavors! Now, we all know I’m not a beer girl…can’t stand the stuff…but I will cook with it if it doesn’t overpower all the other flavors. And it didn’t overpower in this dish. The beer, the bbq sauce, cheese, cilantro, mango, and creaminess of sour cream come together perfectly on a whole wheat tortilla for a great taco dinner!! I made too much for just myself, so the rest of that delectable pork is in my freezer, awaiting it’s second chance to wow me. You should let it wow you, too.
Crockpot BBQ Beer Pulled Pork Tacos
As seen on How Sweet It is
- 1 (3 lb) pork shoulder roast
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 oz of beer
- 32 oz of barbecue sauce
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas (I used whole wheat flour)
- sour cream
- 4-6 oz freshly grated cheese
- 1 mango – peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and sear on all sides, about 2-3 minutes, until browned.
- Add pork to crockpot and top with the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours), turning once about halfway through. After it’s done cooking, shred the pork with forks, tongs, or in your stand mixer and add remaining barbecue sauce. Stir to coat the pork and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Warm the tortillas, and top with pork, sour cream, cheese, mango, and cilantro.