If you’re looking for a dessert to wow your honey this Valentine’s Day (or ANY special occasion), you can’t go wrong with these decadent Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes. They are delicious, gorgeous, and so easy to make!
Originally posted January 26, 2012; Updated photos, content, and recipe January 22, 2020 for improved reader experience. Scroll to the bottom of this post fora peek at the original picture!
Valentine’s Day will be here before we know it. Are you in the, make reservations and go out to dinner on the day, camp, or do you prefer to stay home and make a nice meal, to avoid the chaos and crowds? Or maybe you wait to go out and celebrate the weekend after?
I am 100% in the stay at home camp. It is against everything in my being to intentionally put myself in situations where there will undoubtedly be stress, chaos, and large crowds of people. I mean, it can’t always be avoided, but when I can, I certainly do. I’m just a homebody by nature, and I can make a nice fancy meal at home that’s just as good, if not better, than we can get in a restaurant, and for half the price. That includes dessert. Rich, decadent, glorious dessert.
Most of my friends would prefer to go out, and don’t really understand why I’d want to cook instead of be waited on, but…that’s just not me. Yes, I cook most every day. And yes, there are nights when the last thing I want to do after sitting in traffic for an hour+ to get home is stand in the kitchen and cook dinner. But, there is something about preparing a special meal, for a special occasion, that I never get tired of.
And if I get to end the night with one of these delectable Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes, I’ll stand in the kitchen for just about any length of time preparing the meal before it. And one of the best parts about these lava cakes, is that they really take no time at all. Less than 20 minutes start-to-finish. And they are absolutely amazing. Rich, fudgy, ooey-gooey deliciousness. And if you top them with some berries, even better!!
What do you need to make Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes?
Thankfully the ingredients and equipment list is short and sweet!
Equipment you will need:
– 4 ramekins or custard bowls
– baking sheet
– large mixing bowl
– whisk or spoon for mixing
Ingredients you will need:
– Semi-Sweet baking chocolate
– Powdered Sugar
– 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
How do you Make Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes?
Full, printable recipe below!
1.) Melt the butter and chocolate together.
2.) Stir in the powdered sugar.
3.) Stir in the eggs and egg yolks.
4.) Stir in the flour.
5.) Pour into ramekins.
6.) Bake for 13 minutes.
7.) Cool 1 minute, then put on plates and devour!
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes? Try these!
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate (squares or chips are fine)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray (I like cooking spray that has flour in it) and place on cookie sheet.
- Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on high for about 1 minute, until butter is melted. Whisk until chocolate is melted.
- Gently mix in powdered sugar until well blended. Add eggs and egg yolks, and whisk to combine, then stir in flour.
- Divide evenly between the prepared ramekins. I filled mine to just below the lip-line of the ramekin, about 2/3 – 3/4 full.
- Bake 13-14 minutes until sides are firm and center is soft. Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute.
- Very carefully, using oven mitts or hand protection of some sort, invert cakes onto serving plates, top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and your favorite berries, and enjoy the ooey gooey deliciousness!