This Watermelon Mint Mosow Mule is the perfect summer cocktail! All the goodness of a traditional Moscow Mule, with refreshing watermelon and mint!
As Memorial Day weekend, and the barbecue extravaganza is quickly approaching, I couldn’t let BBQ Week go by without a cocktail recipe! Because, let’s be honest…what’s a barbecue get-together without adult beverages??
And since Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff to summer, what’s more summer than watermelon?!? Not much, my friends. Not much at all. And there isn’t much cuter than watching your almost-three-year-old (how is that possible?!?!) holding a triangle of watermelon by the rind and chowing down, while mama whips up a batch of these amazingly refreshing watermelon Moscow Mules.
I bought these cute copper mugs a couple of months ago because I knew I wanted to make a fun Moscow Mule this summer, but I wasn’t sure what kind, exactly. And then I started planning for BBQ Week, and thinking of all the summer deliciousness, and BAM! Watermelon Mint Moscow Mule, it is!
And other than cutting up the watermelon – because who am I kidding, that’s a pain – these babies came together in less than 5 minutes. How perfect is that?? I just made two, but it wouldn’t take much more effort to make a pitcher of the base, and then add the ginger beer for each serving, as you go. Also, ginger beer – delicious! I first had it actually when I was pregnant with Nat, for the few days of nausea I had. And for anyone who doesn’t know, ginger beer is not actually beer, because that would be gross. It’s more like ginger ale. Think root beer, but ginger!
This will be my final post for BBQ Week, but there will be more delicious posts by my friends tomorrow, too! And of course, there are plenty to share today, as well. If you don’t already have your Memorial Day (or other upcoming barbecue) menus planned out, you can surely do so with all the recipes shared this week! I know I’ll be adding some to our menu!
Check out what we have for #BBQWeek today:
Balsamic Three Bean Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Berry Ice Box Cake by Back To My Southern Roots
Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
Caesar Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime
Grilled Brie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Grilled Chicken Wings with Carrot Habanero Hot Sauce and Blue Cheese by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Grilled Halloumi Over Hummus by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Grilled Steak with Guajillo Pepper Chimichurri by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Homemade Watermelon Lemonade by Daily Dish Recipes
Lemon Dill Tortellini Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
London Broil Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
Parsley Chive Butter by Family Around the Table
Roasted Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce by Food Above Gold
Watermelon Mint Moscow Mule by Sweet Beginnings
Watermelon Mint Moscow Mule
- 1/2 cup cubed watermelon
- 2 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 oz vodka
- 1-2 cups ginger beer
- additional watermelon cubes and mint leaves for garnish, optional
- Using a fine mesh strainer, place half of the watermelon chunks in the stainer over your first mug and carefully but firmly mash with the back of a spoon or other firm utensil, pushing the juice into the mug, but not the flesh of the watermelon. (Alternately, you can puree the watermelon in a blender of food processor and the strain into the mugs.) Repeat process with the remaining watermelon into the second mug.
- Add half of the mint to each of the mugs (you can muddle the mint leaves if you like, or just leave them loose in there.)
- Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 2 ounces of vodka to each mug, and then fill mugs half-way with ice.
- Fill mugs with ginger beer (about 1/2 cup, but may be more or less depending on the size of your mug.)
- Garnish with watermelon and mint on mini skewers, a cute straw, and enjoy!