Turkey taco burrito bowls are a healthy twist on an old favorite, without sacrificing flavor – and you won’t even miss the tortillas!
It’s January, which means that many of us are trying to start the year out on a healthier note, and looking for recipes to help us make healthy, but still delicious meals.
Well, friends, these turkey taco burrito bowls are just that. A healthier version of a favorite, that is still full of flavor, and amazing textures. You won’t even care that there’s no tortilla. And this is coming from someone who loves all things taco. Like, tacos are life, kind of love.
I devoured my bowl, for dinner and then again for lunch the next day. It couldn’t have been a more perfect and satisfying meal for me. It’s got your protein, healthy fat, grains, dairy, and greens. Oh, and top that off with some salsa and lime crema, while you’re at it. Dinner (and/or lunch) perfection.
And did I mention that you can have all this deliciousness ready to shovel into your face in less than 20 minutes?!? You’re welcome, my friends. So very, very welcome.
I have joined up with nine other bloggers to bring you a list of healthy recipes that you can add to your menus in the coming weeks, that include breakfast, lunch, dinner, side dishe and snack options! Be sure to check out the list of recipes at the bottom of this post.
Turkey Taco Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pit removed, and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa of choice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- extra lime slices for serving, optional
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with a spatula, until browned. Add taco seasoning and water, stir to coat and simmer for 5 minutes, until water is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While the turkey is cooking, prepare the quinoa according the package instructions, using the water or chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, combine the Greek yogurt, lime juice and zest in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use this time also to chop your veggies and shred your cheese.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the shredded lettuce between four bowls and top with turkey, black beans, quinoa, avocado, green onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, salsa, jalapenos (if using), and lime crema. Squeeze extra lime juice on top, if desired.
- Balsamic Chicken Fettucine by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Barbecue Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Black Rice Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower by Palatable Pastime
- Healthier Chicken Paprikash by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lightened Up Green Goddess Dip by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Moroccan Pad Thai by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Thai Chicken Salads by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Turkey Burrito Bowls by Sweet Beginnings