Turkey, spinach, and red quinoa, topped with cheese and baked to bubbly perfection.
This is the second week in a row where Thursday has been my Friday, at work. Last week I took off Friday so we could go camping in the RV, and this week the office and Natalie’s daycare are closed for Good Friday. Short work weeks are nice. So very nice. And I get an extra day to spend with my little lovey, which is an extra bonus. Maybe we’ll go visit J at work, go to pick up the rest of her Easter basket goodies (yeah, I waited until the last minute…), or maybe we’ll just hang out at the house and play. I guess we’ll see how the naps go and decide from there. I’m all about sticking to her sleep schedule – naps and bedtime – as a rested baby is much more pleasant to be around. Amiright??
And as J will attest, I really am a stickler for bedtime. We don’t do things at night. If we can’t be home before 7, we don’t go. Period. As she gets older, I’m sure (maybe?) I won’t feel the need to be so regimented, but right now…it’s what’s best for her and in turn, everyone else who cares for her at home and daycare. And something that helps with our nightly routine is me fixing dinners that are quick and easy. I know I’ve said it on here a zillion times, that 30 minute meals are what I aim for during the week, but really…if I can throw a bunch of ingredients in a pan or crock-pot and have minimal hands-on time in the kitchen, our evenings flow so much better. And, I’m able to spend more time with the baby and hubs.
This is one of those meals.
Quick, easy, healthy, and delicious. Oh, and cheesy. That one is important, too. Turkey, spinach, and red quinoa, topped with cheese and baked to bubbly perfection. Yep, that’s a perfect weeknight meal right there. And apparently I have a “thing” for turkey and quinoa meals, since I just made this one not too long ago, too!
Turkey Spinach Quinoa Casserole
- 1 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 medium garlic cloves , chopped
- 6 oz spinach
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Green onions and diced tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, spray 9x9 (or other medium sized) baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions, minus 4 minutes. It will finish cooking in the oven. Drain any remaining water and place in a large bowl.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Add the turkey and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up with a spatula as it cooks. Drain any liquid, if any, and add to the bowl with the quinoa.
- Return skillet to medium heat and spray again with cooking spray. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the spinach and sauté, stirring until it's wilted. Add to the bowl with the quinoa and turkey.
- Now stir in the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 1 cup of cheese, thyme, basil, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir until mixed well.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Cheese will be nice and melty.
- Serve topped with chopped green onions and tomatoes, if desired. Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt also make a nice addition!