These are some of the most adorable cookies I’ve ever seen. I’ve been making them now for 3 or 4 years, but one main component has changed…I no longer use the packaged sugar cookie mix, as I came up with my own recipe earlier this year!! I did use canned frosting (I know, I know) because I was short on time, but will use homemade next year, I promise!! These are easy to make, and too adorable to pass up.
I almost didn’t make them this year, but seeing other versions of the cookie floating around the blogospher, and hearing T talk about making them, I just couldn’t resist!! Bookmark these little cuties and add them to your menu for next year!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 container chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade recipe)
- 1 bag of candy corn
- 1 tube of yellow decorating icing
- 1 pkg mini m&m’s
- 1 tube black decorating gel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat together butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Stir in flavorings and egg, mix well.
- Stir in flour and baking soda.
- Drop heaping tablespoon’s onto foil-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart, and flatten out slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake 9-11 minutes until just set. Remove to cooling rack, and cool completely before decorating.
- Frost and decorate 1 cookie at a time. After spreading frosting on cookie, add candy corn for feathers. Pipe yellow icing for beak and feet. Add baking bits for eyes; pipe black gel for center of each eye.