I first discovered and posted this recipe seven years ago, and it has remained one of my favorite soups all these years. I am particular about my tortilla soup. I don’t like the “broth-y” type so much – I prefer it more tomato soup-based and creamy. I searched high and low to find this recipe, and it is the closest I have found to the country club tortilla soup that I fell in love with many years ago.
I mean, what’s not to love?? A tomato and broth base, with shredded chicken, avocado, sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips?? It’s a great comforting meal, perfect for the cold winter months!
Whether you are a lover of the cold or just trying to survive until spring, this chicken tortilla soup with warm your belly and warm your heart!! Give it a try.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp Zesty Italian Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 1/2 oz cans chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (it's ok if frozen)
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 4 cups tortilla strips (or coarsley crushed chips)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Mix dressing and garlic in large saucepan; cook on medium-high heat 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Gradually add broth and water, stirring until well blended.
- Add chicken. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 min. or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from broth mixture; cool slightly. Pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer and return broth to pan.
- Shred chicken and return to pan. Stir in tomato sauce. Cook on medium-high heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls and add toppings, as desired.
Source: Kraft Foods