Spicy chorizo, black beans, and roasted sweet potatoes combine to make one fabulous taco!
Hiiiii, friends!! I know, I know…it’s been three months since my last food post. Sure, there were a few weekly menus posted, and an update about my new job sitch. But…the FOOD! The reason you all really come here. And I’m sorry it’s been so long. I wish I had some exciting reason for my absence, but…it’s just been life. New schedule, new routine, and trying to adjust. You forgive me, right?
I am in the midst of (still) trying to figure out a schedule and routine that allows me to get all of the things I’d like to, done, and still get sleep. Because, apparently 24 hours in a day is not nearly enough. 30, maybe. Even that might be pushing it. So, prioritizing and making a schedule that I can actually (want to) follow is key.
I miss blogging. I still cook every night, but the time to photograph, edit pics, write posts, post on social media – it just hasn’t been there. But I’m trying to fit it in. To put it a little higher up on the list of priorities. And I thought, what better day to jump back into it than Tuesday. Because, y’all know how much I love me so me Taco Tuesday.
And, with deer season having just ended, it feels only right that I share a taco that can use some of that tasty venison – chorizo! Of course, you can use whatever type of chorizo you have or prefer, but for those who have some venison chorizo, I highly recommend you use that. Because, yum.
These tacos are almost indescribable.
I mean, spicy (or not) chorizo, black beans, and roasted sweet potatoes offer such a variety of flavors and textures, and then you add crumbled queso fresco and crunch green onions, and wrap it all in a soft, warm tortilla. Seriously. How do I even tell you all how incredible these tacos are?!?!?
Oh, and if you add some sour cream (or LIME sour cream) and/or some homemade salsa…I just can’t even. Perfection is what that is.
And now you have no choice but to try and see for yourself.
You see what I did there? You missed me, didn’t you? 🙂
Chorizo, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
- 1 large sweet potato 1/2 inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb hot chorizo (or use mild if you prefer)
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8-10 tortillas (I used a corn and whole wheat blend)
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions, for garnish
- cotija cheese
- optional toppings: sour cream, fresh squeezed lime juice, salsa, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Toss sweet potatoes in a bowl with olive oil and salt, until evenly coated. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, until softened and lightly crisp on the edges. Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, add 2 teaspoons of oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add in chorizo, and cooking, stirring and crumbling, until it is cooked and not soupy looking. Drain grease and return pan to burner.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes and black beans. Stir to combine and allow to heat through.
- Warm tortillas, fill with chorizo mixture and top with green onions, cotija and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, plus any other toppings you like!
As seen on Simply Scratch