Yep, you read that title right…Taco Tuesday!! It’s been awhile, I know…but boy do I have a good ‘un for you today!! I actually had these on the menu for weeks and it just kept getting pushed back over and over and…well, you get the gist. But finally I got them made and thank goodness I did!!
Red Chili Paste
- 2 dried Ancho chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup red chile paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Tortillas (we use a corn/whole wheat blend)
- To make the Red Chile Paste – Cut the chiles into flat pieces, remove the seeds and veins. In a skillet over medium, heat for about 3 minutes, turning half-way through, until they start to soften.
- Place chiles in a blender, cover with boiling water, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pour out the water leaving the chiles in the blender. Add remaining ingredients. Plus until smooth. Add water, a little at a time, to thin out as necessary.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl or resealable plastic bag and pour 1/3 cup (or more if you want) of the red chile paste over the top. Mix the shrimp so that all are coated and marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Serve shrimp in warmed tortillas topped with avocado salsa.