These Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with avocado and queso fresco are a great vegetarian taco option, full of nutrition and flavor!
Original post May 22, 2012; Photos and content updated October 2019.
I’ve made a lot of tacos over the course of my Taco Tuesday posts over the past few years, but very few of them have been vegetarian. This, my friends, is because – well, I’m not vegetarian. And my meals have meat in them 99% of the time. But when I came across these tacos about seven years ago, I was intrigued, and just had to try them.
And let me tell you – I didn’t miss the meat at all! The black beans provided plenty of protein, and the sweet potatoes and avocado added so much flavor in addition to the seasonings.
I’ve made these several times over the past few years, and even my carnivorous husband who pretty much has to have meat in every meal, liked them! I’ve made a few vegetarian meals over the years, and he wound up having to eat something else later because they didn’t fill him up. That was not the case with these black bean and sweet potato tacos!
The sweet potatoes are roasted to caramelized, crispy perfection, combined with creamy avocado and queso fresco, and seasoned black beans. Wrap it all up in your favorite tortilla with a spritz of lime, and you have a vegetarian taco delight!
Oh, and this was a bit hit with the toddler, too. Girl loves her some sweet potatoes, ‘cado, black beans, AND cheese. Of course she could eat her weight in cheese alone and be the happiest kid on the block, so when she will willingly eat all the things, I’m one happy mama.
Add this to your menu today, or Pin for later!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into a medium dice
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp chili powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 8-10 tortillas
- queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- lime and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- In a bowl, toss the diced sweet potato with the oil, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, a pinch of coarse salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a small sauce pan add the beans and season with the remaining cumin, chili powder and garlic salt. Heat for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Warm tortillas and spoon on some beans, followed by sweet potatoes. Top with diced avocado, queso fresco, a little lime juice, and cilantro leaves.