Sweet Potato and Bacon Quinoa has caramelized sweet potatoes and crispy bacon, and makes a perfect meal or side dish!
You guys. Can you believe I’m here with a recipe post? It’s only been, what, two months since the last one? Since the last time I said I was getting back on the wagon? Well, hopefully this time I can stick to it. And, teaser-alert – #BrunchWeek is coming verrrry soon, so that’s a week of recipe posts guaranteed! But in the meantime:
This sweet potato and bacon quinoa is sooooo goooood. I don’t get adventurous with my side dishes all that often. Usually more plain-ish grains or carbs and veggies. But every now and then, I have a little more time, and I get a little outside the box. And every time I do…I’m left asking myself why I don’t more often.
It’s not like a lot of side dish options out there take hours to prepare, so really…I have no excuse. Ease, routine, blah blah blah.
Now, you could absolutely serve this as a meal instead of a side dish, but J just simply has to have more meat in a meal than the bacon could provide. I could see this being great for lunch…either as leftovers or just for a quick and easy weekend lunch. It’s actually been awhile now since I made this and it sounds mighty good to add to my upcoming menu planning!
But, as usual don’t just take my word for it. Try it for yourself!
Sweet Potato and Bacon Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz bacon
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes* or until quinoa is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon in a medium sized skillet over medium heat, and co ok until nice and crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain grease and allow to cool. Once cooled, cut into smaller pieces (but not TOO small.)
- Using the same skillet with bacon grease still intact, add the shallots and cook until translucent and lightly caramelized. Remove from grease and set aside.
- Now, add teh diced sweet potatoes to the same skillet, as well. Cook, stirring often, until soft and lightly caramelized. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, bacon, shallots, and sweet potatoes. Pour in the dressing and stir to coat. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
As seen on Avocado Pesto