How ’bout that Cowboys/Giants game last night?? I’m a Texas girl, so you know I have to root for the Texas teams, Cowgirls and all. 😉
Now that football season is back in full force, football parties/tailgating are the highlight of every weekend. And while many of us love to enjoy adult beverages while we watch, not everyone does and this Sparkling Basil Lemonade is a great alternative beverage to enjoy in this heat!! It’ll be hot in Texas for another 2 months, so we have plenty of time to enjoy, y’all.
I’ll admit, I was a little nervous about the addition of basil…it can be an overpowering herb and I have a strong love for lemonade. I didn’t want it ruined. It was definitely not ruined!! The basil, infused in a simple syrup, was subtle and enhanced the flavor of the lemonade. And the jalapeno slices added in at the end (I de-seeded mine) did not make the drink spicy, so don’t worry about that!
I really enjoyed this drink and it will definitely be a summer staple for me. And for those of you who enjoy the adult beverages, you could always add a bit of vodka to spruce it up!
Sparkling Basil Lemonade
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (about 1-1/2 ounces)
- 2 1 liter bottles club soda, chilled
- 2 cups lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, sliced and seeds removed
- Fresh basil leaves
- For basil syrup, combine water, sugar, and basil in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup and discard leaves. Cover and chill syrup for 2 to 24 hours to let the flavors really blend.
- For lemonade, combine the chilled syrup, club soda, and lemon juice in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Serve over ice and garnish with jalapeno slices and fresh basil leaves.
Leave a Reply