Ohhhh, the weather outside is frightful…
And I really wish that Mother Nature would pick a season. What they say about Texas really is true, y’all. It can be 30 degrees one day, and 80 the next. Or even better…40 degrees in the morning and near-80 in the afternoon. Boo.
I’m ready for boots and sweaters, fire place fires at home, soup and hot cocoa and hot apple cider all.the.time. And for no more mosquitoes. Seriously. It’s mid-November and I’m still getting eaten alive. Over. It.
Thankfully we have had some cooler snaps, so I’ve been able to make some delicious soup and not sweat while I’m eating it. That’s a plus, eh?
And this soup…omgoodness. I’ve had it pinned to make for…a long time. Like, since last year. And even put it on the menu a time or two. And finally – finally – it made it’s way into existence in my kitchen. I was a little worried since it’s a vegetarian soup and J usually wants meat with every meal. You know, protein and all that jazz. BUT…he loved it!!! He was especially fond of the crispy, spicy chickpeas.
The soup was smooth and creamy and full of all-flavors. Um…nutmeg y’all. Yep. Just a hint, but the perfect complimentary spice for the butternut squash. It screams fall. Now if Mother Nature would just get on board and scream it too. And this is coming from a summer baby who loves the heat, so you know it’s serious up in hurr.
Anywho…hopefully wherever you live has actual seasons and it’s cooler than 78 degrees so you can fully enjoy the bliss that is this soup.
Smoked Gruyere Butternut Squash Soup with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
As seen on How Sweet It Is
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz smoked gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
For the spicy roasted chickpeas
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas (drained, rinsed and dried with a paper towel)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, line a baking sheet with foil, and set aside.
- Place the paper-towel dried chickpeas in a medium bowl, add the olive oil and seasonings, and toss to evenly coat. Spread out onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and shake or stir the chickpeas around to prevent burning, then return to the oven and bake another 15-20 minutes, until nice and crispy. Set aside until soup is ready.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and red pepper flakes and stir to coat in the oil and butter. Saute about 5 minutes, until onions are slightly softened. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Now, stir in the squash cubes, salt, pepper, paprika and nutmeg and stir to coat.
- Cover the pot and cook until the squash has softened slightly, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock into the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the squash is completely tender, about 8-10 more minutes.
- Once tender, you have two options: 1) Use an immersion blender to smooth out the soup right there in the pot! or 2) pour the contents, in several batches, into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth, then return to the pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the grated cheese, a handful at a time, and stir until melted. Then add the coconut milk and stir until warmed through.
- Serve up the soup topped with a scoop of chickpeas, chopped green onions, and an extra drizzle of coconut milk.
This soup sounds incredible!!
Sarees Online | buy sarees online | best sarees online | buy sarees online from india | silk sarees online | saree wholesale | wedding sarees online | salwar kameez online | sarees online shopping | buy indian sarees online | saree manufacturers | cotton sarees online | salwar kameez wholesale | designer sarees online | bridal sarees | designer salwar kameez | dress materials online | pattu sarees online | kurtis online | indian women clothing online