Tater tots, ground meat, black beans, and cheese combined with enchilada sauce (and did I mention, cheese??) make up this easy peasy slow cooker tater tot casserole that will redefine your thoughts on easy weeknight meals!
I have always loved tater tots. When I used to eat fast food on a semi-regular basis, tater tots and seasoned curly fries were always like a treat, because not that many places have them. And I still think of them that way – like a special treat that I have now and then.
But in this recipe, they are more “grown up”, if you will. Not just a pile of tots waiting to be submerged in a mountain of mustard and devoured. Or smothered in chili and cheese and scooped up with a fork.
No, in this recipe, the tater tots are the star, instead of the side dish. I mean, sure there are tons of other delicious components to the dish, but..the tots are the main attraction.
And not only do I love this dish, but my dear little toddler loves it too. I mean, that isn’t shocking since I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like tater tots – but toddlers can be fickle sometimes. However, ground meat of any kind, black beans, and “papas” are pretty much a sure thing with this kid. And, it’s ok for mama to use the kid as an excuse to eat delicious food, right?? I think so.
Oh, and I found some seasoned (roasted garlic & cracked black pepper) tater tots at the grocery store that make it even better, if you can imagine that’s possible! I mean, just imagine all the southwest flavors of tacos or enchiladas combined with tater tots and all. the. cheese.
Put them in a slow cooker and go about your business for the day, come home to a house that smells amazing and a dinner that is likely not to have any leftovers. I’d call that a win, wouldn’t you?
And all you need to set aside is about 10 minutes to do the prep. Do you see what I meant about redefining easy weeknight meals?? I’m wishing this was in my slow cooker at home right now, actually.
Want more slow cooker recipes? Who can blame you?!?
- Sweet ‘n Spicy Venison Chili
- Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken & Veggies
- Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
- Crockpot Meatloaf with Pan Gravy
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground venison (or other ground meat of choice)
- 1 packet (1.25 oz) taco seasoning mix (or use a homemade mix!)
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 10-oz can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 16-oz package frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Monterrey Jack)
- sliced green onions and sour cream, for topping (optional)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add ground meat. Cook, stirring and breaking up until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease and add taco seasoning mix and stir to coat.
- Stir in black beans, salsa, and enchilada sauce and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. (You can skip the simmering if you’re in a hurry.)
- Spray the bottom and sides of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, or use one of those handy-dandy crockpot liners, for easy clean up!
- Spread half of the tater tots onto the bottom of the slow cooker; top with ground meat mixture and remaining tater tots. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 1/2 – 4 hours. Add cheese and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until cheese is good and melted.
- Serve immediately, topped with green onions and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Source: Damn Delicious
Leave a Reply