id="dpsp-content-top" class="dpsp-content-wrapper dpsp-shape-rounded dpsp-column-3 dpsp-has-spacing dpsp-hide-on-mobile dpsp-button-style-1 dpsp-has-icon-background dpsp-has-button-background dpsp-show-total-share-count dpsp-show-total-share-count-after">
My mom was a great cook when I was growing up (still is) and cooked dinner almost every night. But, some of the things I remember most, and re-create when I don’t feel like cooking a full meal, are things like fried egg sandwiches, and fried potato sandwiches. One weekend awhile back, I was hungry, but didn’t want anything big for dinner so I found myself rummaging through the fridge and pantry hoping something would jump out at me. Then I saw the eggs, and bread… *lightbulb* Egg Sandwich! As I ate it, I thought that it’s too bad that a plain ol’ egg sammich isn’t really photogenic or I could share it with all of you. And then I had another idea…why not spruce it up and make it better?? Add some lettuce…tomato…bacon…avocado. OMG – a B.L.T. with egg and avocado. How smart am I???
Of course after I got really excited about this idea that I came up with, all on my own, I saw a picture of something similar on Pinterest. Boo. I did not, however, click on it or check out their recipe, because I was keeping this one all for myself dagnabit!! Haha! I put it on the menu and waited for the weekend to get here so I could cook it up and devour my new creation. Fortunately it is not only a fantastic sammich, but it’s very quick to prepare as well. AND you could even eat it as a breakfast sammich! Ta-da! I’m still working on the fried potato sammich, but give me some time, and I’ll debut that baby here as well. Mmm…comfort food spruced up. Love it!
B.E.L.T.A (Bacon, Egg, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado)
A Sweet Beginnings’ Original Recipe
Makes 2 sammiches
4 slices of bacon
salt & pepper, to taste
2 large leafs of lettuce
6 slices tomato
1 avocado, seed removed, peeled & sliced
4 slices wheat bread
2 Tbsp miracle whip (or mayo)
- Cut bacon slices in half, and cook in a skillet over medium heat until slightly crisp (cook more if you like it extra crispy). Remove to a paper towel to drain grease.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. Return skillet to medium heat, crack eggs into the skillet and break the yolks (unless you like yours to drip out of your sandwich, that is). Season with salt and pepper. Cook until most of the egg white has turned white, then use a spatula to flip the eggs over and finish cooking.
- While the eggs finish cooking, pop your bread in the toaster.
- To assemble the sammiches, spread 1 tablespoon of miracle whip on 1 piece of toast for each sandwich. Then layer with 1 egg, 4 half-pieces of bacon, avocado slices, 3 tomato slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and second piece of toast.
- Cut in half diagonally and enjoy!!