I’ve had my eye on this recipe for quite some time. I love salmon and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. This recipe seemed like something new and different that would be good to try out. I left out the onions because, well, I don’t like them. But I’m sure they are a great flavor addition for those who do like them.
And of course there is the salad…pretty much anything with dill in it is going to be a hit in my book. And then you add white wine vinegar and cucumber slices and I think I’m in pickle Heaven!! It doesn’t taste like a pickle, but you know…similar ingredients and all. ::shrug::
All-in-all this is a great dish and the cucumber dill salad goes great with the salmon. Definitely repeat-worthy!!
Salmon with Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad
As seen on Once Upon a Chef
For the Salmon
- 4 6-oz salmon fillets
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Cucumber-Dill Salad
- 1 English hothouse cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely sliced red onion, from one small red onion (I left this out)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel cucumber, slice in half length-wise and remove any seeds. Cut each half into thin slices and place into a strainer, along with the red onion slices if you’re using them. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit in the sink for about 30 minutes to release some of the water.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing for the salad. Combine the sour cream or Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, dill, garlic, sugar and black pepper in a medium bowl and mix well.
- When cucumbers and onions are ready, release any excess water by tapping colander on the base of the sink, then use paper towels to pat dry. Add to dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Rub salmon with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place fillets skin side down onto the prepared baking sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness.
- Serve with cucumber dill salad on top and enjoy!
Leave a Reply