These roasted Brussels sprouts with crispy bacon and apples are the perfect side dish for this holiday season – or any time!
I know that Brussels sprouts are a polarizing vegetable for many. Like many things, there really isn’t a middle ground. You either love them, or you despise them. Hell, I didn’t even try a sprout until I was in my thirties!! Granted, they have to be cooked right or they can be bitter, but a good roasted Brussels sprout, just can’t be beat! I’m usually a roasted veggie purist…olive oil, salt, and pepper and call it a day. I have, however, been branching out recently and this dish was one of my first stretches from my veggie roasting comfort zone.
You guys. Deliciousness!! Roasted Brussels, crispy bacon, soft roasted apple slices and a splash of vinegar is all you need for side dish heaven.
I mean, there is bacon, and how many things with bacon can you say aren’t good??
Also, am I the only one whose toddler likes sprouts?? “I want B’ussel Sp’outs!” actually comes from her little mouth while I’m prepping them to cook. Granted, she’s 2 and she may change her mind by the time she’s 4, but for now…I’ll take it.
I hope you’ve gotten some great side dish ideas over the past week from all the posts shared by this amazing group of bloggers. I know I have a list of things to try! And this one right here, is one you want to add to your list, too! If you love the sprouts, if you’ve never tried the sprouts, and maybe even if you know someone who despises the sprouts – this could be the dish that changes everything. Go ahead, give it a try!! And be sure to check out the final day’s Holiday Side Dish posts, below!
These roasted Brussels sprouts with crispy bacon and apples are the perfect side dish for this holiday season - or any time!
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, ends trimmed and quartered
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 apple (I used Gala), cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and set aside.
Trim and quarter your Brussels sprouts and place in a medium bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread out on prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook your bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain grease.
During the last 15 minutes of the Brussels sprouts roasting, remove the baking sheet, add the apples, and return to oven for the remaining time.
Once the roasting is complete, remove baking sheet and allow to cool slightly. Then add veggies and bacon to a large bowl, add red wine vinegar, and toss or stir to coat and you're ready to serve!
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Try all these tasty holiday side dish recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ambrosia Salad from Daily Dish Recipes
- Five-Ingredient Bacon-Ranch Creamed Corn from The Weekend Gourmet
- Mashed Potato Casserole from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Roasted Buffalo Broccoli and Cauliflower from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Seasoned Rice from A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Spinach Pomegranate Salad from Caroline’s Cooking
- Tangerine Beet Goat Cheese Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole from The Baking Fairy