n id="dpsp-post-content-markup" data-image-pin-it="true">
As we have entered into November, the thoughts of Thanksgiving are overwhelming those of us who love to cook and bake, and what better way to start the holiday month off than with trying new Thanksgiving side dishes? That was Sarah’s fabulous idea for this week’s recipe swap, and I was very excited when I got Butternut Squash Risotto from Nicole of the blog Cookies on Friday. I can’t say that I have ever had butternut squash in any form, so I was nervous and excited to try it. Not to mention that I absolutely love risotto!!
I can now say that I am a fan of butternut squash and this risotto is perfect for a Thanksgiving side, or any other Autumn meal! If you love risotto like I do, then you should definitely give this a try!!
Butternut Squash Risotto
Source: Skinny Taste
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup butternut squash soup or puree
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 2 oz dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium sauce pan heat chicken broth and squash puree. Keep mixture warm over low heat.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter on a low flame. Add shallots and garlic and saute until golden.
- Add risotto and sage and stir well to coat each grain with butter.
- Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
- Add salt, pepper, and stock mixture 1/2 a cup at a time stirring constantly until absorbed. Continue this process until all the stock is used, about 25-30 minutes from the time you started.
- When all the liquid is absorbed, stir in the grated cheese and remove from heat. Serve immediately.