This pumpkin cream cheese stuffed french toast is creamy pumpkin deliciousness between soft bread with a slightly crisp outside, that tastes like pumpkin cheesecake – for breakfast.
If I’m being completely honest, I’ve never been the type that gets overly excited about allthingspumpkin. I’m looking at you, pumpkin spice everything. I do enjoy pumpkin desserts, but the pumpkin spice obsession is just not me.
But, that made it a bigger challenge for me, to find ways to use pumpkin (real pumpkin, not pumpkin spice) that even those who don’t typically like pumpkin things would enjoy. And I’d say I’ve had some pretty good success. Sweet, savory, and beverages. I’ve tackled them all, I’ve conquered them all! And I am so excited to share another week’s worth of pumpkin deliciousness with you, friends. First up this week, is a pumpkin cream cheese stuffed french toast.
Maybe you aren’t a pumpkin pie fan. Maybe you prefer pumpkin cheesecake. And maybe, just maybe, you wish you could have it for breakfast after Thanksgiving has passed. Well, with this pumpkin cream cheese stuffed french toast, you can do just that. I mean, french toast is a breakfast staple for many households, and if it just happens to be stuffed with a pumpkin cheesecake-esque filling, that doesn’t make it any less breakfast-y, now does it?!
The filling comes together quickly, and then it’s french toast-business-as-usual. But better.
What you will need to make pumpkin cream cheese stuffed french toast
8 slices thick bread, like brioche or sourdough
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
¼ cup milk
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons of butter
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar, plus more for topping if desired
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
For the french toast:
- 8 slices thick bread, like brioche or sourdough
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1-4 Tbsp of butter
- Maple syrup for topping, if desired
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl and combine with pumpkin puree, powdered sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Whisk with a fork until well combined.
- On four of your eight slices of bread, spoon a couple of tablespoons of the cream cheese and pumpkin mixture and spread to about 1/4″ from the edges. Top with the remaining slices of bread. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat, dip your stuffed French toast into the egg mixture – dip both sides – and place in the skillet. Do this in batches if necessary, adding more butter for each batch if needed. Cook each side until browned and crisp before turning and repeating on the other side. This can take 3-5 minutes per side, depending on your burner’s temperature. Low and slow is better than fast and burnt with still-cold filling.
- Remove to a plate and top with powdered sugar and maple syrup!