These crispy taco cups are made with wonton wrappers and a muffin tin, layered with taco meat and cheese!
Happy Friday, friends!! This is one of those weeks when Friday couldn’t come soon enough, yet I’m not in a hurry to get to next week. I have my annual work conference coming up, and I have to be out of town for four days. With an eight month old baby, this is less than ideal for our family. J is likely going to commute back and forth a couple of days with the baby to make it a little easier on all of us, and because it’s really our only option. Adulting sucks sometimes, amiright?
What doesn’t suck, are these little muffin tin taco cups. Whaaat??
Talk about the perfect finger food Friday treat!!
You know I’m a sucker for all things taco-ish, and these are no exception. I mean, just look at them. Crispy little wonton cups stuffed with delicious taco meat and cheese – a double layer, I might add – and then topped with a dollop of sour cream. Um, yeah. That’s pretty much perfection right there. And the clean-up is a breeze, too! How’s that for a great start to your weekend??
The only thing you have to be careful about is not eating too much. Because they are so dang good, you want to eat them until they are gone. I don’t recommend this. Not that I speak from experience or anything.
Oh, and did I mention that these are double layered? Yep. Wonton wrapper, taco meat and cheese, wonton wrapper, more taco meat and cheese. Drool.
And if you want to top them with something other than sour cream – like guac or salsa – go for it!! I thought about making some guac, but decided to stick with sour cream for this round. And I’ll tell ya, I didn’t miss the guac. As much as I really love it, the sour cream was perfectly creamy and delicious and balanced out the spiciness of the taco meat. And now I want to go home and make these again. At 9 a.m.
I may have a problem. Just maybe.
Don’t just take my word for it though. Make these tonight and find out just how amazing, and perhaps addictive, they are!!
Muffin Tin Taco Cups
- 1 lb lean ground beef, venison, turkey or chicke (I used ground venison)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning of choice (I used hot)
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- sour cream or other topping(s) of choice, optional
- chopped green onions or cilantrol, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook your meat - breaking up with a spatula - until browned. Drain any liquid from the pan (this will avoid making soggy wonton cups.)
- Add the taco seasoning, and diced tomatoes and jalapenos to the skillet with the drained meat and stir to combine.
- Line each cup of the prepared muffin tin with a wonton wrapper. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the taco mixture, then top with a tablespoon of cheese. Add another wonton wrapper on top, and press down to flatten the lower layer some, then fill with another 1 1/2 tablespoons of taco mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 11-13 minutes until cups are heated through and edges are golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes before carefully removing from the muffin tin (I used a small spoon to help me, in case any edges were stuck to the tin), top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Source: Kevin & Amanda