So, you remember the three bean salad that was on these tacos Tuesday? Now you get to see it in all it’s beautiful glory.
Black beans make a regular appearance in our household, but other beans – like kidney beans and white northern beans – aren’t as common. J mentioned awhile back that he really likes kidney beans and that we should have them more. I believe this comment came when we were having chili. Because, you know, chili and kidney beans are like pb&j. They go together. My mind starts racing because as far as I can remember, chili is the only meal I have ever used kidney beans in. So, what will I make so the hubs can have more kidney beans?!?!? The struggle is real, y’all.
So, I did what I usually do if I need to get ideas. I go to Pinterest, of course. Because, plethora of ideas, yo. And, while J and I scrolled through the “kidney beans” search results, we saw a recipe for a Mexican three bean salad, that piqued his interest. I looked it over, decided that with a few changes, it could work quite nicely as a quick weekend lunch. And, on the menu it went.
And then it got pushed back for a couple of weeks. Until I added the Coconut Lime Steak Tacos to the menu for this week, and decided that it was time to finally make the beans and they’d make a nice side dish with the tacos.
But then on the day of, I decided that they would make an even better on the tacos. Just look at the salad you guys. It’s so pretty! But more importantly, it’s got amazing flavor.
Chock full of protein with the three kinds of beans, red bell peppers, jalapenos, and creamy avocado with a red wine vinegar dressing. Um. Yeah. You will want to plant your face in the bowl until it’s all gone. Promise.
Mexican Three Bean Salad
As seen on Belle of the Kitchen
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ½ large red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime juice
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- pepper, to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Add the drained and rinsed beans to a large bowl. Top with jalapeno, red bell pepper, and cilantro, then gently stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing mixture into the bowl with the beans and stir to coat and mix well. Add in diced avocado, stirring gently to mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Leave a Reply