Welcome to day #2 of #BrunchWeek! I hope you had a chance to check out yesterday’s posts from all the participants. There are some amazing recipes – so many I can’t wait to try!
And this one here, is one that I definitely can’t wait to make again.
This bread has a touch of sweetness, but is not overly sweet. Same with the lemon flavor – the lemon extract in the bread and the lemon zest on top give a nice lemon flavor, without being overwhelming. And the zucchini…well, that makes this a healthier bread, right?? Ok, so no one is calling this health food, but at least you get some veggies with your treat.
The original plan was just for lemon bread, but I had some shredded zucchini left over from some scones I made earlier, and I decided to add it to the bread because…why not?? I’m so glad I did. I took the bread to work the next day to share with co-workers and I devoured a couple of pieces pretty quickly. Then told J that he really missed out, not trying it before I took it.
Of course, then I promised to make it again so he could try it. That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it.
This lemon zucchini bread will make a great addition to your next brunch get together, and your guests will be asking you for the recipe. And wishing there was some left over so that they could take a slice home with them. But there won’t be. Unless you make an extra loaf and hide it away for yourself for later. I highly recommend you do this.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest, divided
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about half of a medium-sized zucchini)
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat an 8×4 loaf pan with butter, oil, or cooking spray and flour, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl if using a hand mixer), beat the softened butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until just incorporated after each one. Add the lemon extract and mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the milk and the flour mixture, with the last addition being the flour mixture. Add one tablespoon of the lemon zest and the zucchini and mix into the batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Start checking around 40 minutes as time will vary for each oven and loaf pan.
- Remove from oven when done and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the bread is cooled, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Spoon the sugar glaze evenly over top of bread, letting excess drip down sides. Mix the remaining tablespoon of lemon zest together with the granulated sugar and sprinkle on top of the glazed bread. Slice and serve!
Be sure to check out the rest of today’s #BrunchWeek recipes!
- Bluberry Mint Julep by The Suburban Soapbox
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon-Glazed Banana and Candied Ginger Scones by The Texan New Yorker
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins by Feeding Big and more
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts by The Chef Next Door
- Braided Pepperoni Pizza Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- French Toast with Apple Compote and Caramel Syrup by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Sticky Buns by The Barbee Housewife
- Same Day Mock Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Tropical Smoothie by Gluten Free Crumbley
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Breakfast Burger by Cooking In Stilettos
- Fiddlehead, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Poached Eggs on Asparagus Bundled with Prosciutto on Cheesy Polenta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Baked Seafood Stuffed Avocados by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy Sandwich by From Gate to Plate
- Kielbasa Welsh Rarebit by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pulled Pork Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sausage and Fried Apples by Making Miracles