Crisp-tender roasted asparagus tossed with refreshing lemon and parmesan, makes a perfect spring side dish!
Spring is upon us, and that means it’s time to enjoy all those glorious spring vegetables! As most toddlers do, Nat’s opinions about food are ever-changing. When she first started eating, she would quite literally eat everything we gave her. I was convinced that we were blessed with the rare foodie baby and that it would continue forever more.
And then the universe let out a big ol’ belly laugh, directed right at me, and my amazing eater decided she didn’t like any of the things anymore. Ok universe, let me just step off of my parental high horse and back to reality. My toddler, sweet and lovely as she is, is just like almost every other toddler on the planet. Vegetables were almost always a no-go, other than roasted broccoli, and after being blueberry- and banana-obsessed for a good while, she decided she didn’t really want fruit either. Big mama sigh. Instead, she decided that she was going to live on mostly carbs and cheese, and sometimes, meat. But now, thank the heavens, my little girl has come back around. She’s starting to eat and love more vegetables and fruits! It makes my mama heart so happy! And one of her favorites – back then and now, again – is asparagus.
She is also a fan of lemons, like her mama, and the love of cheese has not wavered, so I knew this lemon parmesan roasted asparagus was going to be a perfect side dish.
The crisp-tender asparagus with the light, refreshing flavor of the lemon juice and zest and the creamy sprinkle of parmesan really does make this a perfect spring side dish that the whole family will love. And there is minimal effort required to make it. So, what’s not to love?
How to make roasted asparagus with lemon and parmesan
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 425.
Step 2 – Trim the woody ends of the asparagus, place in a bowl or shallow dish, drizzle with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 3 – Roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with lemon juice and zest, minced garlic, and freshly grated parmesan.
Be sure to check out the other springtime side dishes from my friends in the Our Family Table group. So many great options!
Springtime Side Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Almondine by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Asparagus Leek & Potato Chowder by Delaware Girl Eats
- Cilantro Lime Rice with Snow Peas by Art of Natural Living
- Creamy Asparagus Risotto with Dill by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Honey Roasted Carrots with Lemon and Herbs by Palatable Pastime
- Kicked Up Coleslaw by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus by Sweet Beginnings
- Sautéed Sesame-Soy Fiddlehead Ferns and Asparagus by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spring Pasta Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Young Asparagus with Lemon Dipping sauce by Our Good Life
Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Trim woody ends from asparagus and toss with olive oil. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus.
- Remove from oven and toss asparagus with lemon juice and garlic, and half of the zest and parmesan.
- Place on a serving platter and top with remaining zest and parmesan.