Your favorite barbecue side dish just got an upgrade, with lots of bacon and the spicy kick of jalapeno. This ain’t yo mama’s baked beans recipe – but she will love it, too!
When you think about barbecue food, most likely you think of baked beans as a part of that. I’ll admit that I was never one of those people. I never ate them. I didn’t like how sweet they could be. But guess what? They don’t have to be syrup-y sweet (unless you like them that way – then, you do you, boo!)
I do, however, like a good spicy-sweet combo. And that is exactly what you will get with these jalapeno bacon baked beans. Now, I’ll be straight with you – these are not my typical 30-minutes-or-less kind of recipe. They take a couple of hours. But they are SO worth it. And, they are in the oven baking way, so you can be doing other things. Hanging out in the backyard with friends or family, having a beverage, working on the rest of the BBQ feast. Or, take a nap! You know, whatever makes you happy.
Did I mention these have bacon? Lots of yummy bacon. Beans, bacon, and jalapenos. Baked to perfection. The perfect barbecue side dish.
And here are even more great BBQ Week recipes!
BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob by The Spiffy Cookie
Brown Butter Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Calico Beans with Hamburger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
Easy White Bean Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Burrata Platter by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Grilled Pineapple Salsa by Food Above Gold
Grilled Pork Thai Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake by Our Good Life
Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Grilled Vegetables with Whipped Avocado Feta Dip by Kate’s Recipe Box
Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans by Sweet Beginnings
Kaiser Rolls by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert by Family Around the Table
Red Skinned Potato Salad by The Beard and The Baker
Salami and Cream Cheese Roll Ups by Cookaholic Wife
S’mores Bars by Back To My Southern Roots
Strawberry Green Iced Tea by Palatable Pastime
Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans
- 8-10 slices bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced
- 54 oz canned pork and beans
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper*
- pinch of black pepper
- jalapeño slices for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven o 325 degrees F and move oven rack to the lower-middle position. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or dutch oven, heat the bacon pieces over medium heat until cooked about halfway through, approximately 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon and leave the grease in the skillet.
- Add the onion and jalapeño to the bacon grease, still over medium heat, and saute about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Let mixture simmer for a minute so the flavors can combine.
- Carefully pour beans into prepared baking dish and lay cooked bacon pieces on top of the beans in a single layer.
- Bake for 2 hours, until bubbly and thickened to your liking. If you like them a little thicker (i.e. less liquid), cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Let beans rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- If desired, garnish with additional jalapenos slices.
Source: The Chunky Chef
I love this kicked up version of baked beans. And bacon? Well, sign me up!
What a great surprise for people when the take their first bite expecting regular ol’ beans. It must be great fun watching their reactions.
Love the spicy addition to these beans!
I love how these baked beans sound. Jalapeno and bacon anyone? Yes, please!
WOAH. These look and sounds amazing and super addicting. Making these for my next cookout for sure!
That is an amazing way to upgrade baked beans! Love the spicy addition.
I love the extra heat in these beans! These are gorgeous.
You can never go wrong with bacon, and I love the addition of heat too!
Gotta have baked beans with bbq!
Oh my word. These sound awesome! Perfect for a kicked up barbecue party.
Cheese Curd In Paradise
I am loving the spicy flavors in your baked beans! I love baked beans and they are a must for me at a cookout. I would love these next to grilled BBQ chicken!