Honey chipotle chicken with lime quinoa, black beans, and veggies, over a crisp green salad is perfect for a healthy meal – any time of day!
Hello, friends! We are finally starting to have some fall-like weather here in Central Texas. I have mixed feelings about it, as usual. I’m over being polka-dotted with mosquito bites, and fall/winter clothes sure are cute. So, those are the things I focus on and look forward to as the temps start to drop.
But, before all of the cold weather comfort food starts to take over the menu, I had to have (at least) one last summer-y meal. Now, that’s not to say that this delicious salad bowl can’t be enjoyed year round – because believe me, it can. But just looking at this dish, it screams summer to me. I actually made it for the first time back in winter of 2014, maybe in hopes that it would bring me some internal summer warmth – ha!
I just had to make it again and update the pictures, to properly capture is colorful beauty. Because, who doesn’t want to eat something so pretty?
Chicken breasts are marinated in honey and chipotle, then grilled and sliced, paired with lime quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro, then topped off with a honey lime vinaigrette. What more could you want?? It’s simple, it’s delicious, and it packs up great for lunches the next day!
I may just have to make this one more time, this week, since it’ll be soup weather this weekend!! If the cold weather hasn’t quite hit you yet, or if you need a reminder of warmer weather, get this on your menu, ASAP!
Honey Chipotle Chicken Bowls with Lime Quinoa
For the chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo (I buy the cans of crushed chipotles in adobo)
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the lime quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock (or water if you don't have any stock)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lime, juiced and zest freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the salad
- 6 cups spring greens
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup torn fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- Combine the olive oil, adobo sauce, honey, mustard, cilantro and garlic in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken, turning to coat it evenly. Place it in the fridge and marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- To make the lime quinoa, combine the quinoa with the stock or water in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil , lime juice, zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-cook spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in the preheated skillet. Cover and cook until each side is a deep golden brown, about 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- To assemble the salads, divide the salad greens between your bowls, and top with chicken, quinoa, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and green onions. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil and honey, whisk until well combined and drizzle on top of each salad.
As seen on How Sweet It Is
Leave a Reply