I know it’s Tuesday and this is not in any way a taco. But…I couldn’t wait any longer to share it with you all!!
I don’t specifically recall eating shake ‘n’ bake as a kid. I don’t know if we ever had it or not. But I do remember trying it as a semi-adult, when I was newly on my own and trying new things, like how to make pork chop that was baked and not dry as a bone. Shake ‘n’ bake was involved in that effort. I eventually just gave up on pork chops – they just don’t ever seem to work for me. But I digress.
I love baked – everything mostly – and I love being able to have baked meals that resemble their fried counterparts, since we don’t typically eat fried food at home. So, when I saw the opportunity to make crispy baked chicken, with cornmeal crusted okra, mashed potatoes and gravy, I was all over it. Made me remember the days as a kid eating Church’s fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and fried okra. Oh my word. Love.
And, another digression…why is Church’s the only (chain) fried chicken place that has fried okra?? KFC and Popeye’s do not. It’s a shame, really. Because…fried chicken, fried okra, and creamy mashed potatoes and gravy = perfection. I mean, if you eat at those type of fast food restaurants, that is. I can’t tell you the last time I did, but obviously I have fond memories. So, my solution? Make a healthier version of that at home!!
J has opposition towards eating the skin on chicken – any cut – so sometimes that limits or majorly alters what recipes I can use for anything that calls for “skin-on” chicken pieces. Sometimes I feel like we miss out on trying some deliciously, crispy-skinned chicken recipes, but I adapt them the best I can. This recipe, however, needed no adapting. Because it actually wants you to remove the skin from the drumsticks!
So…no skin, crispy baked crust, and juicy meat inside?? This, my friends, is the healthier version of a country-fied meal. And it was insanely delicious. And you need it in your life, immediately!!
Homemade Shake ‘n’ Bake Chicken
As seen on Cook the Story
- 1 and 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning (I didn’t use since i used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 12 skinless chicken drumsticks – or other preferred pieces (I bought skin-on, and the skin actually pulled off really easily!)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large, resealable bag, combine the breadcrumbs, oil, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and cayenne (if using). Shake well to mix.
- Moisten drumsticks with water and add 6 at a time to the bag. Seal the bag and shake until all pieces are well-coated. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF and outsides are brown and crispy.
Looks amazing! I bet my husband would like it too. He's not typically as rigid as J is about food, but he doesn't do chicken skin either!