Basil and I have a love-hate relationship. I actually do like it, but sometimes it’s a little overwhelming. I worried that this might be one of those instances, but decided to give it a try anyhow, since it fits into the diet 🙂 I haven’t been disappointed by one of Giada’s recipes yet, so what the hell? And I wasn’t disappointed with this one either. I would probably use a little more lemon in the dressing, but other than that, it tasted really great!!
Grilled Chicken with Basil Dressing
Source: Giada De Laurentiis
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oi, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Mix 1/3 cup of oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, fennel seeds, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken and seal the bag. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day, turning the chicken occasionally.
- Blend the basil, garlic, lemon peel, remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth. Gradually blend in the remaining 1/3 cup oil. Season the basil sauce, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plates, drizzle with the basil sauce and serve.