These glazed blueberry donut muffins are the ultimate cross between a blueberry muffin and a cake donut, glaze and all. And they are amazing.
Originally posted on June 27, 2012. Updated on July 22, 2019.
Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month?? I have teamed up with 23 other amazing bloggers to bring you a ton of blueberry recipes this week, in celebration. Isn’t that awesome?!? Blueberries are delicious, healthy, and perfect for summer eating. Or drinking!
My first recipe this week is for glazed blueberry donut muffins. I first made them about 7 years ago, and they definitely needed and deserved some freshening up on the blog. These things are dangerous. Like, easily gain 5 pounds in a week dangerous. Not that I know from experience. Just sayin’.
But, oh my word were they some of the best muffins I’ve eaten in…well, ever! I’m not a huge donut eater, but I do love the chocolate and blueberry cake donuts that some bakeries serve, and these…well these are just like that, just shaped like a muffin. Don’t be fooled…blueberry does not = healthy this time around. These are to be shared. With many people. They are addictive, but should not be kept in the house or you will be unable to resist them. TRUST ME!
I made the bulk of them in full size muffin tins, with a few miniature thrown in there, but next time I will most certainly make them all miniature. Safer that way, and more to share with my friends 🙂 I suggest you do the same. Mini, mini, mini…that’s the way to go! And what really makes these
donuts muffins, is the glaze on top. Perhaps they would be more muffin-like (and a tad bit healthier) without the glaze. But they would definitely not be as delicious. Put these on your menu for this weekend and whoever you choose to share them with (you MUST share!), will love you forever!!
Be sure to check out all the other blueberry recipes from today, below!
Glazed Blueberry Donut MuffinsPrint Pin Rate
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
For the Glaze
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter; melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- Preheat the oven to 425°Line a standard muffin tin, or two mini muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest and sugars until well mixed and moist.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted, using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, oil, and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour and butter alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in the blueberries
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tins, about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes (10-12 minutes for miniature), or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and water. Whisk until smooth.
- When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Then, dip them a second time!!
- Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight.
Check out the amazing #BlueberryWeek recipes from my friends today!
Thank you to Ellen from Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting #BlueberryWeek. More than 20 top notch bloggers are sharing a variety of blueberry recipes from breakfast to dessert. Follow #BlueberryWeek on social media so you don’t miss one delicious recipe.
Drinks and Appetizers
Blueberry Basil Bourbon Smash by Cookaholic Wife
Blueberry Bubble Tea by Our Good Life
Blueberry Lemon Naan Bread Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
Blueberry Syrup with (Optional) Bourbon by Food Above Gold
Roasted Blueberry French Toast Crostini by Daily Dish Recipes
Sauces and Spreads
Blueberry Barbecue Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Saucy Honey & Balsamic Blueberry Jam by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Blueberry Curd by Caroline’s Cooking
Blueberry Bison Chili by Savory Moments
Blueberry Romaine Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Curry Burgers with Blueberry Chutney and Coconut-Lime Slaw by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Grilled Chicken Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette by A Day in the Life on the Farm
5-Minute Blueberry Cheesecake Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Blueberry Cardamom Crisp by Crumb Top Baking
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cooking For My Soul
Blueberry Cobbler by Family Around the Table
Blueberry Oatmeal Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Blueberry Peach Oatmeal Bars by The Beard and The Baker
Blueberry, Peach & Brie Slab Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
Vegan Blueberry Orange Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy