This hearty grain salad of farro, cranberries, spinach and feta mixed with a tangy dressing is the perfect compliment to any holiday table!
The first time I had this salad was about a year ago, at one of my girls’ brunches. My best friend made it and I was immediately asking for the recipe. I don’t think I’d ever had farro before, that I can recall but it is such a great grain option! Everything about this salad screams perfection. And hey, it hits almost all the food groups. I’d say having grains, dairy, vegetables, and fruit in one dish deserves a nutritional thumbs up!
You can bet that this farro salad will be a hit with all age groups – from toddler to grandparents, and all of the in-between! I have probably made this six times in the last year, and for someone who doesn’t really make side dishes that are more than just the veggie or grain – THAT is huge. J loves it, Nat loves it. I love it! Like, I could probably eat it every day, love it.
Did I mention how delicious and EASY it is to make?? Cook the farro, chop the spinach, and mix up the dressing. Toss it all in a bowl together, and voila! The hit of the holiday table has just been served!! I have been debating what side to make for Thanksgiving with J’s family this year, but writing this post and remembering just how much I love this farro salad might have just made up my mind for me!
And once you mix it all together, you don’t need to worry about keeping it warm – which can always be a challenge during these family holidays when everyone is bringing hot dishes that need to be warmed in the oven. Make it ahead, and keep refrigerated until ready to serve! Easy peasy and you don’t have to think about when you can get your dish into the oven!!
Make sure you give this farro salad a try! And check out the other Holiday Side Dishes below!
Farro Salad with Cranberries, Spinach, and Feta
For the farro salad
- 2 cups farro
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp diced shallot
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook your farro according to package directions, using either water - or for a little added flavor, vegetable broth. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, you can cut up your spinach and make the dressing. In a small bowl, mix the honey and Dijon until well-combined. Add the diced shallot, balsamic and olive oil and whisk until slightly thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the farro, spinach, dried cranberries, and feta in a serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing* and toss to combine.
Source: A Daily Dish of Life
More delicious holiday side dish recipes:
- Bejeweled Legume Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Best Easy Homemade Stuffing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Broccoli Casserole from Palatable Pastime
- Farro Salad with Cranberries, Spinach, and Feta from Sweet Beginnings
- Healthy Candied Sweet Potato Casserole from Simple and Savory
- Lighter Green Bean Casserole from Cookaholic Wife
- Roasted Parmesan Carrots from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Shrimp Stir Fry Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Southern Cornbread Dressing from Everyday Eileen
- Stuffing with Sausage and Chestnuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole from The Baking Fairy
- Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes from Family Around the Table