This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
This Egg & Asparagus BLT Salad combines all the goodness of a BLT into an amped up salad topped with perfectly cooked asparagus and over-easy eggs for the entree salad of your dreams.
Welcome to day two of #BrunchWeek! There were some amazing recipes shared yesterday, so if you missed them, be sure to check them out! The links to all the posts are at the bottom each day’s post. You can see yesterday’s here.
And now for today’s little beaut. I was introduced to an egg & asparagus salad a few year’s back when I did a guest post for my dear friend Sarah’s six year blog anniversary. It was (still is) one of her favorite meals, and I was happy to make it in her honor! When I was trying to decide what recipe to make, to highlight the delicious asparagus from Michigan Asparagus, I immediately thought of making a kicked up version of that salad. That also meant I got to use more Eggland’s Best eggs and some crisp romaine from Cal-Organic Farms! All things BLT, with asparagus, eggs, and a yummy dressing? Yeah, I was all over that in a heartbeat!
There’s just something about an over-easy egg, when you break it open and watch all that deliciousness pour out over the other food. Doesn’t even matter what it is, most of the time, it just makes it better. This salad is no different. And the asparagus is cooked so that it is crisp-tender – not mushy – and has just the right amount of crunch with each bite. Add to that the crisp romaine and bacon, creamy avocado, and cherry tomatoes and you have the perfect balance of flavors and textures. Oh, and the dressing? Just the right amount of tanginess to tickle those taste buds. If you couldn’t tell, I kinda love this salad. And the toddler did, too! That, my friends, is one of the best compliments this mama can get these days. Because, finicky toddler.
But please, don’t just take my word for it. The weekend is coming…and you need this in your life. Brunch food at it’s best!
Be sure to check out this and other amazing recipes from today at the bottom of the post, and if you haven’t already – enter the giveaway drawing!! There are some amazing prizes to be had y’all, from some amazing and generous sponsors!! If you missed the earlier post, you can check out the prizes here.
Egg & Asparagus BLT Salad
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and coarsely-ground black pepper
- 4 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 bunch Michigan Asparagus spears preferably thick, trimmed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 head of Cal-Organic Farms Romaine Lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado peel and pit removed, sliced
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the mustard, vinegar, and oil in a small jar with a lid. Secure the lid tightly, shake until well-combined, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lay on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until just cooked through. (If your asparagus is pretty thick, you may end up cooking 10-12 minutes...just check it after 7 and then cook an additional 2 minutes at a time, as needed, until done.)
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until slightly crisp. Remove to a paper towels and allow the grease to drain off. When the bacon is cool, rough chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Drain the bacon grease and wipe the skillet clean. Drizzle a little olive oil or butter in the pan, over medium heat and add the eggs. Season with salt and pepper and cook the eggs to over-easy, making sure the yolks don’t break and are still runny, about 3 minutes (time will vary depending on your stove-top heat.)
- To assemble, divide the romaine between two plates, top with half the bacon, tomatoes, asparagus spears, and avocado slices. Top each salad with 2 eggs, and drizzle the vinaigrette over the top. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking, originally from Dorie Greenspan’s “Around my French Table” cookbook
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
California Club Omelet from The Barbee Housewife
Quick & Easy Cheesy Cheddar Asparagus Frittata from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Huevos Rancheros Cups from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Kuku Sabzi (Persian Herb Omelette) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Buttermilk Scones from Mildly Meandering
New York Style Garlic Knots from Girl Abroad
Miso Butter Toast from Brunch-n-Bites
Pecan Belgian Waffles with Strawberry Sauce from Family Around the Table
Savory French Toast with Asparagus from Forking Up
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Asparagus Fried Rice from Tara’s Multicultural Table
Asparagus Bacon Rollups from For the Love of Food
Creamy Baked Cheesy Asparagus from Daily Dish Recipes
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan from Books n’ Cooks
Blueberry Raspberry Chocolate Bark from Caroline’s Cooking
Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake from The Crumby Kitchen
Red Velvet Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Succulent Vanilla Sugar Cookies from Love and Confections
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, LorAnn Oils and Flavors, Cento Fine Foods, Michigan Asparagus, Cal-Organic and Eggland’s Best for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.