Nachos are taken to a whole new level of yum when tortilla chips are topped with a creamy, cheesy shrimp dip mixture and then even more cheese!!
If you love queso or Mexican-inspired food as much as I do, then these nachos are for you. I mean, you probably need to like shrimp too, but you could substitute chicken if you absolutely had to. The cheesy sauce would go good with just about anything, but it pairs especially nice with shrimp. On tortilla chips. Topped with even more cheese, tomatoes, and green onions.
Is it the healthiest option? Well, no. BUT, for those of us who allow ourselves a little indulgence now and then – like, Finger Food Friday, perhaps? – then they will fit the bill perfectly. Ooey, gooey, cheesy deliciousness. Nachos are one of those things that I could probably eat once a week, and find a different variation much like tacos. Hmm…maybe I should start a weekly nacho night.
Ok, maybe that’s a little much, but perhaps once a month we could have a new variation. I’ll run that idea by J, but I’m sure he’d be on board. I mean, who doesn’t love nachos???
We are taking the RV camping this weekend, and if I didn’t already have delicious burgers planned for the grill on Friday, I’d have half a mind to make these again.
Don’t judge. Nachos can be camping food. Nachos can be anytime, anywhere food.
Hey! I just had a great idea! You know those movie houses that serve real food and alcohol?? Well, they need to serve some fancied up nachos like these!! Maybe they do already. I don’t get out much these days. Ha!
Or better yet, have your own movie night at home and make them. Then you can eat them and get as messy as you want and not have to worry about the person next to you staring at the cheese dripping off your face. You’re welcome.
Queso Shrimp Dip Nachos
- 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes adjust to taste,
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar or chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes and chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gouda Cheese
- 1 10-oz bag tortilla chips (you want them on the thicker side, to hold up to the sauce and not get soggy!)
- Chopped tomatoes & green onions, f or other toppings of your choice
- In a large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter. Add the shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until pink.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the drained diced tomatoes and chilies and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, ½ cup Cheddar and Gouda, until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spread tortilla chips into a microwave-safe plate* (or multiple plates) and spoon a generous amount of the queso shrimp dip over all the chips. They don't have to be 100% covered, just make sure there is enough on each chip to enjoy! Top with the remaining Cheddar and Gouda cheese and pop in the microwave for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese has just melted.
Source: Flavor Mosaic