I am so glad it’s Wednesday. I can barely walk, sit down, cough, or move my arms without wanting to die, thanks to boot camp on Monday, but it’s a good kind of pain. Right? That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway. No pain, no gain! But man, trying to sit down is the. worst.
Creamy Salsa Verde Turkey Pasta Bake
A Sweet Beginnings Original
- 4 oz whole wheat fusilli pasta (or other short pasta)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp diced onion (or 1 Tbsp dried, minced onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (plus additional for topping, if you’d like)
- 4 oz cream cheese (low-fat or light for a healthier version)
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (I used a combo of salsa verde and leftover sauce from these tacos – OMG.)
- 1/4 cup of plain, Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used pepper jack)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a 2 quart pot of salted water to boil over high heat, add the pasta and cook until al dente (8-10 minutes.) Drain and rinse pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up until browned. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro and spices, stir to combine, and cook for an additional minute.
- Now add in the salsa verde and cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and the simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the Greek yogurt and then add the pasta. Stir until it is all well-combined.
- Add half of the mixture to the baking dish, sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top, then add the remaining turkey pasta mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with extra cilantro on top, if you like, and a nice side salad.