Chili lime shrimp in crunchy wonton cups, with lime sour cream and arugula are the perfect party appetizer or finger food dinner!
Happy, happy Friday! And if being Friday was exciting enough on its own, it’s Finger Food Friday! It’s been a minute since I’ve shared one of these, but this one is definitely worth the wait.
Simple and delicious. Because that’s all we really want on a Friday night after a long week, isn’t it? Well, and maybe an adult beverage or two, if we’re being honest here.
Wonton cups are just fun (and easy) to make. I mean, a crunchy little cup full of spiced shrimp, lime sour cream, and spicy arugula – what’s not to love?? And there are definitely plenty of wonton cup options out there. My first experience making them at home were these muffin tin taco cups. OMG. We found out very quickly that bite size does not mean that you can eat as many as you want and not stuff yourself silly. At least we learned our lesson that round and took it easy with these chili lime shrimp cups. And by take it easy, I mean I didn’t make so many that we thought we had to eat them all, no matter how full we felt. I made juuuust enough. And they were divine. Start to finish you could have these on their plates in 15 minutes. Come on, now. How can you pass that up?! More time to relax and enjoy the evening with dinner taken care of in such a short amount of time.
Chili Lime Shrimp Cups
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
For the shrimp:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp , peeled and deveined
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the lime sour cream:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray, then press 1 wonton wrapper into each cup, folding the corners back to leave the center nice and open for the filling.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool for at least a few minutes before removing and filling.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Combine the olive oil, shrimp, lime juice, chili powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat. Spread shrimp out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until opaque and cooked through. Remove and allow to cool slightly. (I am able to fit these in with the wonton cups, but if done separately, just leave the oven at 350 when the wonton cups are done and bake at that temp for the stated time.)
- While the shrimp and/or wonton cups are baking, combine the sour cream and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- To assemble, place a few arugula leaves in the bottom of each cup, top with a spoonful of lime sour cream and then 2 or 3 of the chili lime shrimp, depending on their size. Serve with additional lime wedges, for squeezing on top, if desired.
Source: Inspired Taste