As I said yesterday, I wanted to keep this long weekend simple and relaxing…and me in the kitchen for minimal amounts of time so I could be with K before he leaves on a work trip. Saturday night was a UFC fight – and if you haven’t heard already, K and I never miss a UFC fight. I made these chicken roll-ups back in April and we both really enjoyed them. I made a few changes from the last time, but that’s just me making them more and more my own!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup pineapple (or orange) juice
- 1 Tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp ground comino
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup beer
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves
- red pepper sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella – whatever you like)
- Guacamole or sour cream to dip in, if you’d like
Creamy Red Pepper Sauce
4 Tbs Cream Cheese
3 Tbs Reduced-fat mayo or miracle whip
3-4 roasted red peppers from 7 ½ oz jar, drained well
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper
Mix all ingredients together in food processor until well-blended.
1. Mix pineapple juice, pepper sauce, vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin and onion together in a blender.
2. Heat oil in a skillet or pan (that has a lid) over medium-high heat, add chicken and sear each side.
3. Pour beer and juice mixture over chicken, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20 -30 minutes.
4. Remove chicken to a bowl and using two forks shred the chicken.
5. In the meantime, turn the heat to medium-high and continuing cooking the sauce until it reduces and thickens enough to coat the chicken.
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken and mix.
7. Heat your tortillas until slightly crispy on each side. Spread red pepper sauce on each tortilla, then layer with chicken, shredded cheese, and cilantro. Cut in half and serve with dipping sauce of your choice.
I love your recipe for these chicken roll-ups! So much flavor and spice, they sound delicious!!