This Chicken Asparagus Lasagna is creamy, cheesy, and full of chicken and tender-crisp asparagus. It’s the lasagna variation you’ve been looking for!
Original post on November 22, 2011. Updated July 29, 2019.
It’s a good thing I wasn’t born to an Italian family or I would likely have been disowned at a very young age. I say this because I am not a huge fan of marinara sauce. I much prefer a white or butter-garlic sauce. I know, I know a lot of people think I’m crazy, especially those who either are Italian, or who dearly love traditional Italian cuisine. Or my husband, who loves it. I’m not saying that I never eat or cook a dish with marinara sauce involved, because that would be nearly impossible, I’m just saying it’s not my favorite.
That said, a several years back I went on a hunt for a lasagna recipe that used a white sauce and chicken. I came across a version of this one on the Betty Crocker website, but have adapted it over time. Chicken, asparagus, cheese and a creamy white sauce layered between lasagna noodles..how could it get more perfect than that?? I’ve made this dish on a number of occasions for friends and family and it’s been a great success on all but the first time (no matter what people tell you, don’t ever use the no-cook noodles!) I actually consider this one of my go-to meals if I’m going to have company. Paired with a great salad and some garlic bread, it is the perfect meal for a gathering of friends or family.
So, if you are looking for an alternate lasagna recipe or just a great addition to the pasta section of your recipe book, this one never disappoints!
Today also happens to be National Lasagna Day, so I am sharing this recipe, along with six other recipes from my Festive Foodie friends, below!
Chicken Asparagus LasagnaPrint Pin Rate
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350º. Grease 13 x 9 rectangular baking dish. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
- Heat 5 cups water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add asparagus; heat to boiling. Boil 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place asparagus in bowl. Toss with oil and lemon pepper seasoning salt.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, milk and marjoram. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken and the Parmesan cheese. Cook about 2 minutes or until hot.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture, half of the asparagus and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat for the second layer (noodles, chicken mixture, asparagus, cheese). Top with remaining 3 noodles, the rest of the chicken mixture, and the last 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until hot in center and top is golden brown (you can turn oven to broil for a couple of minutes if it isn't browning to your liking). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Lasagna Day Recipes
White Bolognese Lasagna by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chicken Asparagus Lasagna by Sweet Beginnings
Vincisgrassi by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Barefoot Contessa’s Lasagna with Turkey Sausage by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Roll Ups by Daily Dish Recipes
Lasagna Roll Ups with Meat Sauce by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Easy Instant Pot Lasagna by Palatable Pastime