These cheeseburger tater tot cups take eating burgers and tots to a new level of yum. Tater tots baked in a mini muffin tin, filled with ground meat, cheese, ketchup, mustard, and pickles. Serve with sliced baby pickles and a special sauce drizzle for a bite size version of two classics, in one!
The end of this week is bittersweet for me. You see, it was Spring Break this week in Austin and the traffic – or lack thereof – has been absolutely glorious. I have been able to leave home later in the morning and still be at work on time, and I have been home before 6 o’clock in the evenings, which hasn’t happened in quite some time. I don’t want to go back to the rushed mornings, terrible traffic, and over an hour commute home in the evenings. I. Don’t. Wanna!! Ugh.
But, you know what? That’s just life. And it was great for the week. Now I’ll just have to focus on other things to look forward to. Like these cheeseburger tater tot cups. I LOVE tater tots. Like, really really love them. I get giddy if we go somewhere for burgers and they have tots on the menu. Give me an order of those and plenty of mustard to dip them in and I am one happy camper. I also love a good burger. So, why not combine the two into a tasty, bite-size treat??
You mix all the fixins in with the ground meat, stuff it into tater tot cups, bake and then top with a yummy sauce and tiny pickle slices. They’re they cutest. But we don’t love them for looks alone. They are quite delicious. And dangerously poppable. Twenty four tater tot cups won’t feel like enough. Especially if you have to share. Or in my case, even when you do share, and the toddler decides the tots on her plate aren’t as good as the ones on yours. “I want some of mama’s,” as she aggressively reaches onto my plate to help herself. Hmph. Eat your own, kid! Yeah, right. I give them to her. Because…she’s even cuter than the tater tot cups.
How to make cheeseburger tater tot cups
- Place 3 tater tots in each cup of a greased mini muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 F.
- Cook ground meat over medium-high heat in a skillet, until browned, breaking up with a spatula as it cooks.
- Add mustard, ketchup, and pickle relish. Stir to combine.
- Remove tater tots from oven and use the end of a large spoon to gently smash the tots down, forming a tater tot cup.
- Fill each cup with ground meat mixture, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce while the tater tot cups are cooling.
- Top with a dollop of sauce and a couple of sliced mini pickles!
I just love making food in muffin tins – it’s so fun! And perfect for finger food appetizers or meals, and great for toddlers!
Want to try more muffin tin recipes? Here you go!
- Chili Lime Shrimp Cups
- Muffin Tin Taco Cups
- Muffin Tin Frittatas
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies (Kylee Cooks)
- 72 Frozen tater tots
- 1 lb Ground beef (can use venison or turkey, if preferred)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Pickle relish
- 1 cup Cheese (I used sharp white cheddar), shredded
- Mini Pickles for garnish
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or Mayo
- 4 Tbsp Pickle relish
- 2 Tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray two 12-cup mini muffin tins (or 1 24-cup) with cooking spray. Place three tots in each cup, and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the tots are cooking, brown ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat. Once browned turn off heat, and drain off any grease.
- Add miracle whip or mayo, mustard, ketchup, and pickle relish to the ground beef and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the tater tots are done, remove from oven and use the handle end of a large spoon to press the tater tots down and up the sides of the muffin tins cups, to create tater tot cups
- Fill the tot cups with the ground beef mixture and top with shredded cheese.
- Place the tater tots back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- While the tater tot cups cool mix together all of the special sauce ingredients.
- Remove the cheeseburger tots from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
- Drizzle the special sauce over the cheeseburger tots and top with mini pickle slices, and enjoy!
Source: Homemade Interest