So, I’m starting to think I may have a problem. An obsession, even. With stuffing poblano peppers.
For this variation, I stuffed them with Cajun-seasoned shrimp, quinoa, Manchego, Queso Fresco, and basil. Basil, y’all. It’s amazing that it all made it into the peppers at all. I wanted to mix it all up in a bowl and scarf it down just like that.
Cheesy, Cajun seasoned shrimp and quinoa stuffed into delicious poblano peppers makes this Mr. and Mrs. verrrry happy, indeed.
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasonings (I wound up using a mixture of blackened and creole seasonings)
- 2 oz Queso Fresco (or goat cheese – J doesn’t like it so I had to improvise)
- 6 oz shredded Manchego cheese
- ~1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp (or more) of your favorite hot sauce (I used one that we brought home from our honeymoon)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Slice the poblano peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs and seeds. Place on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down. Spray the tops with a little cooking spray or olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool, enough to handle and flip over.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa and water or broth in a small saucepan and cook according to package instructions. (Generally you bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.)
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the shrimp in a medium bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with Cajun seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the shrimp, and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring until cooked through. Set aside to cool and then roughly chop them.
- Once cooled, place the shrimp, quinoa, cheeses, basil and hot sauce in a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- Spoon a generous amount of filling into each pepper half and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheeses are bubbly and lightly browned. Serve with extra hot sauce, if you like it hot!