It’s Thursday! As if you didn’t know that already. But today is almost as good as Friday because my office is closing at noon to kick-of the holiday weekend. I love long weekends! I don’t have any special 4th of July-specific recipes to share with you, but there are a few good ideas on this page if you need some inspiration. I do, however, have a very colorful and flavorful dish to share with you! Friends, meet the buffalo chicken burrito bowl.
And yes, it is every bit as amazing as it sounds, as the words buffalo and chicken might imply. Would it be weird if I were to just drink buffalo sauce out of the bottle? Probably so, huh? I guess I won’t do it, then.
Do you have anything fun planned for the long weekend? Barbecues, fireworks, bonfires, perhaps? I haven’t been to a bonfire in years…and with the burn ban that’s in effect in my area, we won’t be having one anytime soon, either. So, if you’re having one or going to one, take some pics and share them with me, would ya? Let me live vicariously through you. J and I will go somewhere and watch fireworks tomorrow night and then Saturday we’re going to a friend’s house for a BBQ and to watch the UFC fight. Woot! Should be a good time.
By Sunday evening I’m sure we’ll be worn out from all the running around and festivities, so I’ll be planning for a quick and easy dinner. This buffalo chicken bowl definitely qualifies for that. Annnnd I got to use fresh garden veggies in it, which is always an added bonus. See those ‘maters and jalapenos? Yep, those came out of our little garden. And they are deeeelicious. Though the jalapenos are mighty hot. Surprisingly hot for their size. But we like things a little spicy! Oh, and that salsa on top? That’s my mama’s salsa (or as we call it…hot sauce) and no one makes it better than she does. NO ONE!
The great thing about these types of dishes is that you can modify them to your own taste. You can add your favorite toppings – avocado. sour cream, or whatnot – to make it your own. I didn’t add those particular things, but now that I’m thinking about it, avocado would have made a nice addition! So, between the barbecues and bonfires, swimming and wake-boarding, throw this together for a quick meal!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowl
Adapted from: Whole Yum
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds to make it less spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 3/4 cup (or more!) Buffalo Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexi-blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Prepare your rice according to the package instructions. I like to use chicken or veggie broth instead of water…just gives it a better flavor. Set aside.
- Place rinsed and drained black beans into a small pot, add cumin and garlic powder, stir and heat on low while you prepare the chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallions and about half of the diced jalapeno and saute for a minute or so until they start to soften. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the minced garlic to the pan. Add the lime juice, stir, and cook another few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the buffalo sauce until the chicken is well coated. Add more if you want – however spicy you want it!
- To assemble your burrito bowls, put a hefty scoop of rice in the bottom of each bowl. Top with a few spoonfuls of black beans, buffalo chicken, shredded cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, salsa, and jalapenos.
- Voila! Dinner (or lunch) is served!!
I love burrito bowls and buffalo chicken, but I never thought of combining the two. We'll be trying this dinner soon!