This grilled cheese gets a major upgrade with broccoli, cheddar, and bacon and the whole family will love it! It’s a great way to eat your veggies!
I love a good grilled cheese, don’t you? A couple of years ago, I tried adding veggies to grilled cheese for the first time.
And. It. Was. Amazing.
Like, more amazing that I could have ever imagined. So, naturally, when my friends at #OurFamilyTable wanted to do a grilled cheese event, I was thinking fast and furious of a new and delicious grilled cheese that involved another veggie. And what could be better than roasted broccoli, cheddar, and crispy bacon sandwiched between buttery, toasted bread?
Nothing my dear friends. Nothing at all. This Broccoli Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Bacon is one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. Truly. And it’s really so very simple, with just a few ingredients.
What ingredients do you need to make a Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Bacon?
Bread – I recommend a thicker, hearty bread like a brioche or sourdough. I used an artisan bread here.
Broccoli Florets – I cut the stems off so that all that was left were glorious florets
Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil – these are for roasting the broccoli
Bacon – Thick bacon works great for this
Cheddar Cheese – Sliced or shredded both work well – I did it both ways and they were equally delicious.
Butter – for grilling the sandwiches and giving them a nice, caramelized crispy outside.
These were so good, and so easy to make that I made them 2 days in a row. For dinner one night, and again for lunch the next day. And they are filling. I ate one sandwich and was stuffed. The toddler ate about a quarter and was good to go. Hubby ate two. Par for the course.
Crispy bacon is essential for this grilled cheese. It adds the perfect amount of crunchy texture to a generally softer grilled cheese. The broccoli is seasoned well with it’s own level of crispness, and of course you have the melty goodness of cheddar oozing all throughout the sandwich. I’m not kidding when I say this is grilled cheese perfection. And this is coming from a former grilled cheese purist. Try to fancy up my grilled cheese and I would smack you. I’ve been reformed, friends. Bring on all the fancy grilled cheese!
How do you make a Broccoli Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Bacon?
Full Printable Recipe Below!
1.) Trim stems from broccoli florets and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes.
2.) Place bacon on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Spread on paper towels to drain grease.
3.) Layer cheddar cheese, bacon, broccoli, and more cheddar on 2 slices of bread, then top with remaining slices of bread.
4.) Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat and add butter. Place sandwiches in melted butter and cook until lightly browned and cheese is melty. Gently flip with a spatula and do the same for the second side.
5.) Remove to plates, slice in half (I prefer a diagonal cut) and enjoy!
If you like trying fun grilled cheese variations, try my fruity Peach, Blackberry & Bacon Grilled Cheese!
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Make sure you check out all the other amazing grilled cheese recipes from my friends, below!
Broccoli Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Bacon
- 2 cups broccoli florets, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (or 1 cup shredded)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim stems from broccoli and toss in a bowl with olive oil salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet.
- Lay 6 slices of bacon onto a second baking sheet.
- If both pans will fit in your oven, you can cook at the same time! Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Until the broccoli is nicely browned and the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven. Set broccoli aside until ready to use. Place bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate to drain grease.
- Place two slices of bread on a plate or cutting board. Top with 1 slices of cheese (or 1/4 cup of shredded), 3 slices of bacon, broken in half, half of the broccoli, then another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Heat butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place sandwiches in the heated skillet and cook for a few minutes, until golden brown and bottom layer of cheese is melty. Gently flip over with a spatula and repeat on the other side. Be sure not to have your heat too high, or it will burn the bread and the cheese won't be melted. Low and slow is the way to go, here.
- Remove to plates, slice in half (I prefer a diagonal cut) and enjoy!
ALL THE GRILLED CHEESE!
Blueberry Ricotta Grilled Cheese by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Breakfast Pancake Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
Broccoli Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Bacon by Sweet Beginnings
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Easy Grilled Cheese Hot Dogs by Blogghetti
Grilled Blue Cheese and Onion Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Hawaiian Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Italian Sub-Style Panini by That Recipe
Jammy Brie Grilled Cheese by Art of Natural Living
Mushroom Pizza Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
The Cuban Sandwich (Cubano) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Making Miracles