I’m not a big breakfast person, but I am trying to make breakfast more on the weekends, and when I had a 3 hour hike coming up, I knew that these muffin bites would be the perfect thing to take along with me! I think blackberries might just be my favorite fruit, and paired with lemon (my foodie vice) it was a magical combination. I ate way, way too many with miniature size being my justification of course! These are the perfect little breakast on the go, and I will definitely be making them more often!
Blackberry-Lemon Muffin Bites
Source: Sunny Side up in San Diego
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon, about a heaping tablespoon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 Tbsp warm melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 oz) chopped fresh or frozen blackberries, if frozen defrost and drain liquid
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare mini muffin tins with liners (makes about 42 muffin bites).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix together just until evenly combined. Add the blackberries and gently fold into the batter. Careful not to over mix, that can cause tough muffins.
- Divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan for just a few minutes, until the muffins are cool enough to handle and transfer to a wire rack.