This black forest cheesecake is a rich, chocolate cheesecake with cookie crust, topped with sweet, tart cherries, homemade whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. The perfect decadent dessert for any occasion!
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% my own.
If you’ve ever looked at my Pinterest dessert board, you will know that I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic. I come by it honestly as my daddy and my brothers are as well. It’s in my DNA. I especially love dark, bittersweet, or semisweet chocolate.
I also love chocolate combined with fruit. More specifically cherries or raspberries. Chocolate covered cherries? Yep. I’m all about ’em. Cherry Garcia ice cream? All over it. Black Forest anything? I am in heaven.
Since cherries are a big summer fruit, I wanted to make a recipe using them for #SummerDessertWeek, and when I came across the idea for a Black Forest Cheesecake, I didn’t have to look or think anymore. It was a done deal. And for weeks…maybe months…before I actually made this beauty, I was dreaming of and drooling over it.
Crisp cookie crust (and friends, I am not a crust person. I generally don’t like it at all, on anything), rich chocolate and cream cheese filling, and sweet, tart cherry pie filling and homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top. PER.FEC.TION.
I can think of no better way to end this week of summer desserts than with this amazing cheesecake. Sure, it means you have to turn your oven on in the blazing heat of summer. But let me tell you friends…you will have ZERO regret for doing so, because this black forest cheesecake is what chocoholic dreams are made of.
The bittersweet chocolate combined with the cream cheese balances perfectly with the sweet cherry topping and the whipped cream. So rich and full of flavor, but not overly sweet. You could definitely use semi-sweet chocolate instead, if you like it a little sweeter.
My only advice, besides the fact that you MUST make this, is to make sure you have somewhere to take it or someone to share it with. Because, if left alone with it, you just might eat the whole thing.
Did I mention today is the last day of #SummerDessertWeek??? If you haven’t entered the giveaway, today is your last chance! And you do not want to miss out on a chance to win one of the amazing prize packages our generous sponsors are providing, including the Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan that I used to make this Black Forest Cheesecake! Check it out and enter, below!
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Black Forest Cheesecake
- 9" Springform Pan
For the cookie crust:
- 1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate cream sandwich cookies (about 24 cookies)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
For the cheesecake filling:
- 10 oz bittersweet chocolate chips or bar, chopped
- 4 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
For the topping:
- 1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- chocolate shavings or curls, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse chocolate cookies into crumbs. Place in a medium bowl and combine with melted butter and sugar. Press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes, to set crust, the set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in microwave 20-30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer), mix cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Mix in melted chocolate until combined. Pour cheesecake batter over crust and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until center is almost set. The center will still jiggle while edges will be set.
- Turn oven off and crack oven door to allow cheesecake to cool slowly for 10 minutes, then remove cheesecake and allow to cool another 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to run arond the edges to help release the cheesecake from the sides of the pan.
- Allow cheesecake to cool at room temperature for at least an hour, then cover and refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, release sides of springform pan and gently remove from the cheesecake. Top chilled cheesecake with cherry pie filling, keeping them more towards the center, so you have plenty of room around the edges for your whipped cream.
- To make the whipped cream, combine heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla in a COLD mxing bowl and beat at high speed until thick, but still soft. Transfer to a piping bag with a decorative tip of choice, and pipe a decorative border around the cheesecake.
- For extra decoration, add chocolate shavings or curls all over teh top of the cheesecake. You can use a vegetable peeler for curls or shavings or a zester for shavings/sprinkles.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
No Churn Mango Ice Cream from Daily Dish Recipes
Loaded Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert from Who Needs A Cape?
Mudslide Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Strawberry Cream Ice Box Cake from Palatable Pastime
No-Churn Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
Rainbow Sherbet Layer Cake from Sweet ReciPEAS
Orange Creamsicle Crunch Bars from The Domestic Kitchen
Blueberry Buckle from Pastry Chef Online
Mermaid Cheesecake from 4 Sons R Us
Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars from Back To My Southern Roots
Black Forest Cheesecake from Sweet Beginnings
Blackberry Cobbler from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Cheesecake with Key Lime Stars and Orange Cream Mermaids from Our Good Life
Triple Berry Biscuit Trifle with Honey Whipped Cream from Nik Snacks
Turtle Trifle from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Summer Berry Trifle from Nancie’s Table
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.